WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

Sigma 12-24-does anyone own one?

Old 21-02-10, 09:50

Default Sigma 12-24-does anyone own one?

I have just purchased a Sigma 12-24 2nd hand. There is a front 'clip on' cap (not the petal hood) but no way of fitting this cap to the lense or petal hood.
In my research I see references to a separate connector that appears to fit into the petal lens hood so the cap will clip on.

Similarly I see references to a rear holder for gelatine filters but there is no holder with this lens and I cannot see anywhere to fit one.

Is there anyone who owns this ens that could advise please.

Thanks
Dave

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said but I'm not sure that what you heard is not what I meant"
Robert McCluskey
Old 21-02-10, 12:46

Hi David - I own a Sigma EX 12-24 mm D 1:4.5-5.6 DG HSM. Mine was new and boxed so perhaps I can help. It does come with a clip on front cap - but the cap clips into a plastic sleeve that slips over the petal hood. As for the gelatin filter holder at the rear it is in the form of a "U" shape, thin black metal clip around the rear element. Looking at the rear of the lens it is the first thing you see - it has three tiny screws to hold it on and you cut your gelatin to fit - it is very fiddly. It also merges into its own backplate which makes it difficult to see. The easiest way to find it is to gently run your finger nail around the rear plate and it snags nails very easily and very painfully when inserting the gelatin It is a cracking lens however!

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!
Old 21-02-10, 13:19

Thank you Andy.
The guy I purchased the lens off tells me he has no memory of any plastic sleeve as you describe.
I can see the 'U' shaped section you mention (rear of the lens)........I had seen this but thought "it is too small/thin to accept any filter-I assume the filter must also be extremely thin.
I have emailed SigmaUK and asked where I can purchase these items.

You might recall my post re' Dunham Massey Old Hall-it was then I decided to get a wide angle lens and this one came up at the right price......all I have to do now is learn to use & get the best out of it.

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said but I'm not sure that what you heard is not what I meant"
Robert McCluskey