WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

Nikon D90 Problem

Old 18-02-10, 20:36

Default Nikon D90 Problem

Hi, I'm a new member, not new to photography, but I don't consider myself an expert. I have just bought a new Nikon D90 with the kit 18-105mm lens. It seemed to have an intermittent fault when the camera would not fire and showed an error message 'F', which the manual states means no lens attached. I detached and refitted the lens several times in case there was a bad connection somewhere. This appears to have cured it and I have taken about 100 photos since without failure. What worries me though is whether or not there is a potential fault still lurking there which will develop into a major problem in the future, perhaps after the 12 months guarantee period.

I would be interested to know if anyone has had a similar experience and if I can safely assume that the initial problem has been permanently cured.
Old 19-02-10, 08:35

Only 12 months warranty? Most Nikons come with more than that.
On the old lenses, with an apperture ring, the apperture had to be set to the smallest available, f22 for example when fitted to a dslr. If not you got an f message. This being the case and after refitting your kit works fine maybe you did not secure the lens adequately? Why not try taking the lens off and then replacing it a few times trying the camera at each reload? It's worth a go I think. But make sure you register your camera and lens with Nikon, and check what warranty you have.
I hope this is of help.
Dean.
Old 19-02-10, 09:55

Thanks Dean. I bought the camera from Simply Electronics and it apparently comes with a warranty operated by them (for 12 months) and requires registration with them, which I have done. I have also registered the apparent fault with them, and they have acknowledged this. I am a bit concerned that I have no maker's warranty.
I'm beginning to think that the initial fitting of the lens did not make perfect contact and that it is OK now. I was wondering if anyone else had had a similar problem, and what the outcome was.

Sam
Old 19-02-10, 14:59

Probably just a poor contact as you say, I would give the contacts a quick wipe with a microfibre cloth to remove any grease. Do not use a pencil eraser as some advocate as the eraser is abrasive and will cause damage to the contacts. How come no manufacturers warranty?
Old 19-02-10, 17:19

I have done as Dean suggested and had the lens off and on several times, with no problem. I also have a Nikon D40 and I have tried interchanging the lenses several times. Again, no problem with either camera, so I am becoming more confident that it was a once only problem.

As regards the warranty, I don't know why I don't have a Nikon warranty. Simply cover all their stuff with their own 12 months warranty. I have no reason to suppose there is anything shady about the product - it came packed in a box with all the proper bits and pieces and looking very authentic. I wonder if it is a grey import - the price was very good, which was why I went to them.

Thanks for your help

Sam
Old 19-02-10, 20:58

Agreed, sounds like a grey import for which Simply have covered the guarantee by their own.
Old 20-02-10, 09:55

I too think this was a one off. Another time you can get an error, I think it's FEE or similar, is, if your camera is in A or S mode, and you connect an older manual focus Ai AIS or pre these lenses. It's the only other time I've seen it. Of course with these lenses you just go to manual mode, opening up a load of brilliant old lenses that go quite cheaply second hand, with some good results. I hope your worry is over and you have loads of fun with your new kit. I think it really is a very good camera and the lens is fabulous considering it's "only" a kit lens.
Have fun, and lets see some photos from your new gear. ATB Dean.
Old 20-02-10, 16:58

Simply Electronics are a grey importer, which is why there's no Nikon warranty.