WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

Nikon D90 advice please

Old 07-02-10, 22:46

Like Mike I am also a Canon man. I am surprised the Nikon folk have not rushed forward to sing the praises of the D90. Whilst I don't believe in getting the latest gadget for its own sake Alex does verge on the technophobic.

If you have the cash burning a hole in your pocket then sure go ahead the photographic industry needs the cash injection. If not then you need to take a step back and think it through. There are the folk who buy the latest model every 18 - 24 months or so and it is not long before the shine wears off and they are lusting for the next model. Is your camera a tool or a piece of jewellery ?

When buying a new piece of kit I am a strong believer in understanding exactly what advantage it has over the old kit. It maybe a better quality lens will go along way to improve your photos than a new body.

What features of the D90 do you need ?

Sure the D90 is a step in the right direction above the entry level D60 but will it improve your images or do you want a more robust body with a few more and easier to use features.

From your question I suspect you are not sure.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated
Old 08-02-10, 16:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by robski View Post
Like Mike I am also a Canon man. I am surprised the Nikon folk have not rushed forward to sing the praises of the D90. Whilst I don't believe in getting the latest gadget for its own sake Alex does verge on the technophobic.

If you have the cash burning a hole in your pocket then sure go ahead the photographic industry needs the cash injection. If not then you need to take a step back and think it through. There are the folk who buy the latest model every 18 - 24 months or so and it is not long before the shine wears off and they are lusting for the next model. Is your camera a tool or a piece of jewellery ?

When buying a new piece of kit I am a strong believer in understanding exactly what advantage it has over the old kit. It maybe a better quality lens will go along way to improve your photos than a new body.

What features of the D90 do you need ?

Sure the D90 is a step in the right direction above the entry level D60 but will it improve your images or do you want a more robust body with a few more and easier to use features.

From your question I suspect you are not sure.
Me a technophobe? Never!

.....Now where did I put my Velvia?

Anyway, what I meant to say is what rob has kindly re-iterated.

a) Will the extra features of the D90 (no 'extra' features aside HD video, just improvements on the D60s features) make a difference to your photos?

b) The lens is far more important than the body. Buying a really expensive body and sticking with the kit lens is a common mistake. A new lens will let you take photos in a whole different way. So we can make recommendations, what lens (es) are you using now?
Old 08-02-10, 19:05

Seem to have missed this thread somewhere along the line but here's my "2d worth". Much as it pains me - I think I agree with Alex - . The D90 is long in the tooth in camera terms, and yes the D60 is what they call an "entry" model and the D90 an upper level body. I notice that you have not posted images in the gallery yet so it is hard to know what interests you, photographically. If you use your camera for "family snaps" then your D60 will do you very nicely for years to come. If you are exploring photography in general and feel you have reached a stage where you would like more control of your images, also you have explored the full capabilities of the D60 and you feel that it limits your creativity - then it is time to upgrade the body. I always concentrate on getting the best lenses I can afford before considering the bodies. They will stay with you for years - the bodies will upgrade every 18 months to two years. Look at the specs of several models - see what they offer - and decide if there is one that should push your skills. Then look at the body cycles. If you are approaching the time of an upgraded body then wait until the new model comes out as the one you have decided on will fall in price. Compare it with the upgrade when that is announced and decide if you are willing to pay the premium that the upgrade will attract. Are those upgraded features worth the extra cash? Will you actually use them? For most of us - over 90% of the pictures we take can be captured very easily with an "entry model" camera body. You have a lot of questions to ask yourself - don't hurry. Again the glass - lenses are the most important part of your kit IMHO. My carrying a Nikon D3 and 24 - 70 mm AF-s f2.8 Nikkor round my neck, and the fact that I have been taking picture for over 50 years does NOT make me a photographer. The images I produce make me hope that some people might regard me as having some promise in that direction, but then who knows - There's no pleasing some folk . If I were you I'd be looking at the D90 or D300 and waiting to see what emerges from Nikon in the next two or three months before taking the plunge.

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!
Old 08-02-10, 22:29

I have a nikon d60 and have too flirted with upgrading to a d90. Likes been said its not worth it for me really. all i wanted was more focus points, but this is'nt the end of the world as there are ways around this, so to shell out the vast some of money just for this was madness. Video has no interest for me, and live view although handy at times, was'nt important as i love looking through the view finder. I love my d60 and take pictures im more than happy with. when it breaks, or i feel the need ill buy a new one.
Old 14-02-10, 21:45

want my 2p?
get the d90.
i made the same move a few weeks ago now and you will not be dissapointed. the d60 is a great camera but the d90 is greater.
Old 16-02-10, 02:38

Yes it is that much better.
The D90 is the best camera for the money available today.
You will have a so many more photo opportunities that you will have to learn a lot.
I often use it as back up to my D3.

You will not actually get more focus points as the D90 only has one cross type in the center.
If you use spot focusing it can be very fast and all I have to do is flip my wrist to shoot vertical.
I use Auto ISO 3200 on mine and seldom get a bad picture.
Old 16-02-10, 12:06

I'm curious to know: is there a shot you took with your D90 which would be compromised if it had been taken with a D60?
Old 16-02-10, 14:40

Yes, many shots at over 800 ISO show the compromise.
The comparison at ISO 3200 is very obvious.

I am not saying the lightweight, compact Nikon D60 is not a good camera. All Nikons are very capable of great pictures. The D90 is just better.

"The kid with the cardboard camera can get the best shot of the day if he is in the right place at the right time."

It is just a whole lot more likely that it will be the Pro with Pro camera and Pro glass.