WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

Holiday problem, Nikon and Canon

Old 29-06-11, 16:06

Default Holiday problem, Nikon and Canon

Hi - I've just realised I have a problem: I'm off to Australia in a couple of weeks' time, for two months. It's just dawned on me that the netbook I'm taking with me has BreezeBrowser (and View NX) on, so I can download and view my photos, but as I'm taking my D300 and G11, I'm not going to be able to see them on my host's computer as it doesn't include Photoshop.

I tried installing Picasa for a short holiday a couple of years ago, but got into such a mess with having duplicates of duplicates all over the place that I gave up in the end.

Short of shooting everything in RAW and jpeg (or selectively just using jpeg), can anyone suggest a solution? I don't want to spend sightseeing time working extensively on the computer, but it'd be quite good to be able to tidy up some images to leave behind.

I did wonder about Elements 9, but does that open cr2 files? Panicking a bit here, as I think I'm running out of time!
Old 29-06-11, 16:35

Elements 9 opens RAW files for both Canon and Nikon and manipulates them. If you do install Elements 9 go to "Help" then check for updates and Elements will down load the latest files for processing RAW files for the latest cameras and automatically install them. Excellent programme, I think it is cheapest on Amazon.
Old 29-06-11, 17:04

if it's for less than a 30days period why not download the Elements 9 trial version for free

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated
Old 29-06-11, 17:11

Thanks, miketoll, I thinks that's probably my best bet. I looked on Amazon earlier but they only had one in stock. Seems there are more now!

robski - from my post: 'I'm off to Australia in a couple of weeks' time, for two months' but thanks for the thought!
Old 29-06-11, 22:28

Try downloading FastStone (you'll need to Google it) - it's free and converts Canon G11 and Panasonic GH2 raw files - so it seems quite up-to-date. I think that you can even download a portable version.
Old 29-06-11, 23:32

Faststone looks interesting, especially the portable version. I don't really want to have to fork out for something which will probably have limited use. If we're travelling anywhere other than by air, we'll have the laptops with us, with PS on. I'll investigate in the morning.

Thank you.
Old 30-06-11, 01:19

FastStone have just released ImageViwer v4.6 in either portable or full versions, it will open all major camera files including Nikon NEF. It's an excellent program, I use it all the time.