WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Equipment Reviews

Equipment Reviews Post a review of your equipment in here

Sigma 50-500mm EX DG

Old 24-12-05, 13:53
Snappy

Default Sigma 50-500mm EX DG

I have purchased two examples of this lens the first was the non DG and was used on the Canon 10D

Example image

http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...500&ppuser=133

http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...0&limit=recent

The second version was the newer DG edition which is supposed to reduce internal reflections. This has been used extensively on my Canon 20D it has Sigma's HSM motor for high speed focus and minimum aperture of f6.3 although on a Canon 20D this shows as f5.6

Example images

The lens is very heavy weighing in at around 1.8Kg but its well built with a twist action zoom and a lock to prevent the lens from extending when not in use. Even though its heavy I can hand hold down to a shutter speed of around 1/90 the deer shot above was taken at 1/180. The lens is sharp all the way through its focal length and much sharper than my last Canon 100-400L also its about half the cost. The sweet spot for sharpness is around f8 but its still acceptable at f5.6 (6.3) when zoomed in to 500mm. Filter size is 86mm and I would recommend the fitting of an EX glass filter the cheaper filters do affect image quality.

For the cost of around £600 new including case and three year warranty (Canon only give one year) this is a superb lens for both wildlife and aviation and well recommended.

Kevin

Last edited by Snappy; 24-12-05 at 13:59.
Old 24-12-05, 17:20

I used the Sigma 50-500mm f/4.0-6.3 EX APO RF HSM zoom lens for three years and liked it. It was heavy, but most of the time it was the only lens in my pack because of the versatility. I wrote a review on it here that some might find helpful:

http://www.naturescapes.net/092003/hf0903.htm
Old 15-01-06, 13:19

I agree with all the points above. Heavy but versatile and can be hand held at the long end, in a pinch. On a tripod it's incredibly sharp with nice out of focus effect and great colour rendition. My only complaint is really terrible chromatic abberation showing up as blue fringing on high contrast subjects, seemingly much worse on the D2x than the D100. Mine is non-DG.
Old 13-11-06, 09:03

The versatility of this lens can be increased by attaching a 13mm extension tube. This will allow focusing down to a few inches, ideal for close-ups of butterflies etc. My technique is to set the lens to minimum focus distance then use the zoom to frame the shot.
Old 25-11-06, 09:55

There is a big reason for Sigma users to call it Bigma.
No company has yet stand to challange of 50-500mm Sigma.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN
Old 10-01-07, 13:54

Now also available in 4/3rd mount and would have the same effect as a 100mm-1000mm on 35mm/full frame! If I get this I may take upbird photography seriously

Paul

http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography
Old 10-01-07, 19:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftysnapper View Post
Now also available in 4/3rd mount and would have the same effect as a 100mm-1000mm on 35mm/full frame! If I get this I may take upbird photography seriously

Paul
Paul I am not clear about 4/3rd mount. Can you elaborate?
Also remember that on full frame you do not get any magnification factor...A negative appearing statement that is actually very much in favor of owner (Minus much higher cost).
If you are referring to 2 x extender then that is a different story.
BTW, remember that when 2x extender is added to this Bigma, the effective focal length is from 200-1000mm. This is because the extender physically is longer than its length and protrudes into the existing empty bore of lens, thus starting minimum focal length of lens with extender on, is from line demarcate 100mm and not 50mm anymore.

" JOE BIDEN
Old 10-01-07, 22:20

Sassan,

The 4/3rds mount is the lens mount used by Olympus, Leica and a couple of other brands. The sensor in a 4/3rds camera is a bit smaller than the more common APS-C sized sensor used in many other dSLRs, this gives a 2x crop factor, instead of the more typical 1.5x digital sensor crop factor found on an APS-C sized dSLR.
Old 11-01-07, 05:46

Thanks for explanation Duncan.
Yes I remember very well been confused (Deceived ) by initial advertisements of Olympus using the world "Full Frame Crop". Not mentioning it is 1/4 of regular sensor surface area (Considering raise to power of 2 for area measurement).

" JOE BIDEN
Old 16-01-07, 09:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassan View Post
Thanks for explanation Duncan.
Yes I remember very well been confused (Deceived ) by initial advertisements of Olympus using the world "Full Frame Crop". Not mentioning it is 1/4 of regular sensor surface area (Considering raise to power of 2 for area measurement).
Yes Duncan is correct, Sassan I do not think Olympus have ever said it is a full frame crop, but advetised it as a 4/3's full frame transfer CCD ( a completely different thing) and yes it gives a 2x crop factor the same as the 30D gives a 1.6 crop or raise to power of 1.6 for area measurement

crafty

http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography