WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > News & Views from the World of Photography

News & Views from the World of Photography Discussion on the Latest News in the World of Photography

Canon: a new dealership policy?

Old 02-09-07, 17:58

Default Canon: a new dealership policy?

It has been reported, so far without confirmation, that my local Canon dealer has either lost the dealership or has been downgraded, apparently for not meeting the higher sales figures Canon are now demanding, despite achieving what appear to be very respectable sales figures for Canon gear. The dealer specializes in quality equipment - predominantly Leica, Hassleblad, Nikon and Canon and all the staff are experts in what they sell. I've bought most of my digital gear from them and have come to greatly value their friendly advice and recommendations. It grieves me to think that I'll not be able to rely on them for any future Canon upgrades. Were it not for my investment in lenses etc I could well switch to Nikon - or rather return, having been a keen Nikon snapper in 35mm days.

Have any other forum members heard of similar cases?

Hindpool
Old 04-09-07, 22:46

Yes, have heard and worked with similar. Ultimately some of the more prestigious models and kit are distributed in smaller numbers....so it stands to reason Canon want the gear to sell (and sell preferably sooner rather than later) in preference to other makes.

I can give an objective view of another example on the flip side of the coin. In that the many Hewlett Packard cameras and equipment thrust into the stores branches of my former employer, neither matched consumer demand or desire. Without knowing the real deal that happened in the boardroom, all I can do is summise why this happened.
The on-line print ordering facility being pushed at the time, as one of the first in the UK offered by my former employers, was powered by HP.
Loads of HP stock then appears in the stores.
Net result; a company left with loads of HP stock they can't shift, even at knock down prices.
Ultimately the manufacturers strike the best deals they can.
Stock limitation by Canon, Nikon, Olympus and most definately Sony (who are one of the most guilty of dealing behind a shroud of brand loyalty) are all very good at promoting but them limiting their stock according to sales.

Unfortunately I think the consumer loses out in the long run.