WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > General Photography Technique

General Photography Technique Discussion on General Photography Technique

Black and White processing

Old 22-03-06, 23:56

Again catalogue job but it may jog thoughts. I am guessing Ron bought his chems in Jessops. I know in Kings Lynn it is all front of store stuff.

Ilford ID11 Developer
Ilford Stop Bath
Ilford Hypam Fixer
Ilford Wetting Agent

Now that just reminded me of fairly vigourous initial agitation to remove air bubbles. Or a sharp tap.

Don
Old 22-03-06, 23:58

Don, The only reason that I could afford the Jobo CPE processor is that I managed to pick it up cheap at an auction. although it's primary use was for colour, I also used it for developing my B&W film and for B&W prints as well.

I sold all my film based equipment shortly after buying my second digital camera (Minolta D7) back end of 2001

I remember only to well using a washing up bowl filled with hot water, The temp for B&W wasn't too critical, but processing reversal was, so that was carried out over the kitchen sink.

Safety didn't seem to be a concern those days, for the second exposure of the reversal film I used a 100w 240v photoflood suspended approx 18 inches above the water. Residual Circuit breakers had not been thought of then

What a merry time we used to have, the best thing that ever happened in the photographic world was when it went digital.

Harry
Old 23-03-06, 00:11

It was a good learning curve and fun at the time but I would not want to go back to it. I never had a proper darkroom. Trying to blank out light during the summer evening was a pain. After a while you would still see a chink of light shining through.

To load the film into the drum I would do this with the bedroom curtains closed under a thick duvet. Pitch dark under there. Develop and dry the film during the day and make the prints in the evening.

Remember the fun of making contact prints and test exposures. It was only last year I carted all my darkroom books down the charity shop.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated

Last edited by robski; 23-03-06 at 00:16.
Old 23-03-06, 00:18

Harry,

As far as colour goes you are dead right there.

Tried colour neg but each time the filtration needed changing so moved to Cibachrome, Lots easier in that respect but sitting in the dark to let the eyes adjust to the sodiumsafelight for half an hour before starting was a pain. I had a Paterson drum roller but it had to be washed and dried after each print so I finally resorted to a 3 slot deep tank. When a new product was coming out at work it was a casual call from publicity for a pic. No problem. On the way out of work it was could we have 50 by the morning. 50 prints all the same arrh !!

I did enjoy B & W though and the deep tank did save a big washing up session at end of play.

Now I just shut down the computer.

Don
Old 23-03-06, 00:24

Rob I think we all went through this, but in my day we didn't have duvets. I do agree with you regarding, being "fun at the time"

Must admit though to having a super permanent darkroom with all the mod con's, for the last few years of using film.

Harry
Old 23-03-06, 00:34

I still have a tape that I used to play in the darkroom REALLY LOUD lots of powerful tracks. In the darkroom I always printed by the seat of my pants so as to speak. Make a rough printing map then go for it. The only way I could reasonably do another copy was by starting the enlarging sequence with the same track playing.

I had to add the title of the music to the printing map in case of an additional print request.

Crazy days

Don
Old 23-03-06, 10:00

Ron,

I have just been up in the loft again as most of our last house is still up there. Too much stuff and although I doubt that I chucked in in the move I can't be sure.

I will have to rely on internet info for now.

To help it would be nice to know how far you have progressed. ie Are you just starting. It helps to tailor any useful links or info.

Don
Old 23-03-06, 10:20

WOW! What a great response from so many fellow members, thank you all.

Now then – I’ve printed out the ID11 leaflet that Don posted the link to and will read it all later today.

I’ve seen the ‘accordion’ bottles that a couple of you mention and will look for some but I’m not sure of using Jessops though. The only branch of theirs that has been of any use in helping me so far is in Coventry and although it’s not far, we can kiss goodbye to around 2 hours for the drive both ways and the walking around while we’re there. I may be retired but I still begrudge times where I might be better employed doing other things. Jessops Nuneaton branch is about as much use as chocolate tea pot!!! So many bad experiences with that shower and while we were in Oswestry yesterday I found that the branch there wasn’t much better. Anyway – we’ll see about getting to Coventry either today or tomorrow.

As to why I wasn’t about later last night after posting my questions – Jan and I had a trip out to North Wales yesterday and we were both knackered and had an early night. Besides – I didn’t expect such a quick response ;-)

Ron
Old 23-03-06, 10:29

Ron.

Jessops is not one of my favouriteHigh Steet companies, but I do find their online shop to be very good.

http://www.jessops.com/shop.cfm

Harry
Old 23-03-06, 18:12

My expereince Don is pretty mixed in that I first started using a darkroom at the school photography club in the early 1960s. After that I let it all go by until I was stationed in Cyprus while in the army in 1978/9 and had access to the unit darkroom there. I haven't done any since then until just this few weeks when I enrolled in this course we're doing at North Warwickshire College.

What's puzzling me though is the instructions say that the 1 litre pack of ID11 will process 10 films - yet using 2 spolls takes up 600mls of solution and I can then do another film with the remaining 400mls. So where does the 10 films come from? The only way I can see this is by re-using the solution and extending the processing time otherwise it's going to get very expensive if I was use it a 'one shot stock'. Anyway - I have the stuff and 2 HP5s to do and will get them done tomorrow but I will keep the solution in a sperate accordian bottle (I got 3 from Jessops in Coventry today), and when it's full use it again making the allownaces that the printout form your link suggested. But even so it looks at though 9 films will be the limit.

I suppose it's all just having to re-learn what I knew before and so on - but that's part of my problem really - I want everything done 2 weeks ago ;-)

Ron