WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photographic Accessories

Photographic Accessories Discussion on other Photography related Equipment. Tripods, Luggage and suchlike.

What size poloriser?

Old 11-04-10, 19:42

Default What size poloriser?

I'm toying with the idea of getting a poloriser filter for my new Nikon D5000 but have no idea of what size I need? I've looked on the front of the lens (the kit lens that came with the camera) but can't see any indication of what mm it is!!

Advice greatly appraciated, new at this so apologies for asking the obvious!!

Matt
Old 11-04-10, 20:30

I am a Canon man so am not absolutely certain on Nikon gear but think it is probably 52mm.
Old 11-04-10, 20:42

Matt, if you look your lens up at Warehouse Express and then go to the specification tab it will tell you the front filter thread size.
Old 11-04-10, 21:08

Thanks Mike and Nigel!!

52mm it is!!

Matt
Old 11-04-10, 23:38

Stop Matt - 52mm is about the smallest you can get - I have a load of 52 mm filters from my film days when Nikon made a lot of lenses with a 52 mm filter thread. These days they have a much wider range, from 52 mm upwards. If you intend to get more glass in the future - plan ahead. I get 77 mm filters which will do for the majority of my 20 odd lenses and I use stop down rings to attach them to those with smaller filter threads - a 62 mm and a 67 mm step down ring cover most. My 70 - 200 mm f2.8 AFs VR takes a 77 mm threaded filter as does the 24-70. Step down rings cost pennies compared to full filters.

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!
Old 12-04-10, 14:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy153 View Post
Stop Matt - 52mm is about the smallest you can get - I have a load of 52 mm filters from my film days when Nikon made a lot of lenses with a 52 mm filter thread. These days they have a much wider range, from 52 mm upwards. If you intend to get more glass in the future - plan ahead. I get 77 mm filters which will do for the majority of my 20 odd lenses and I use stop down rings to attach them to those with smaller filter threads - a 62 mm and a 67 mm step down ring cover most. My 70 - 200 mm f2.8 AFs VR takes a 77 mm threaded filter as does the 24-70. Step down rings cost pennies compared to full filters.
That is a top tip andy....thanks for that....

oh by the way i think the nikon lens has the filter size on the lens cap....mine do.
Old 13-04-10, 18:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy153 View Post
Too late!!

Went to Jessops last night but they didn't have any in stock so ordered one from warehouse express. To be honest I don't anticipate getting any more filters for my current lense, may well upgrade at a later date!

BTW, are there any instances where using a polariser world be of no benefit...or is it something most folks leave attached for all shots and lighting situations?

Matt
Old 13-04-10, 23:41

A polariser is not something you want on all the time, the effect is specific to certain situations. Remember it will knock out 2 stops of light too.