WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

Nikon Zoom lens advice please

Old 14-02-06, 20:42

Default Nikon Zoom lens advice please

After just doing a "swap" of a Canon 350D to a Nikon D70S (prefer the handling etc of the Nikon), and being very pleased with the kit 18-70 lens, I'm now looking for a zoom lens.

My budget is not great (up to 400 pounds MAX) - and not ideal subjects for a cheap lens either - birds and airshow photography. I know both of these really could do with fast expensive lenses, but I just can't justify the cost of one of those.

My candidates are (all 2nd hand) in list of what I think is best for the money so far - best at the top.

Any help please ? The Nikon 70-300 ED seems to get univerally panned, but I've seen some superb photos on Pbase taken with it.

Thanks, Mark.

Nikon 300mm ED F/4 (not the EF-S version) - £380
Sigma 130-400 APO - £230
Nikon 70-300 ED - £190
Sigma 70-300 APO - £110
Tokina 80-400 - £199
Old 14-02-06, 20:55

I think 400mm minimum for airshow photography. I used 80-400VR for a few years and I realise it not on your list but beware of cheap lenses. When on a budget used is always worth considering but be patient for the right lens at the right price.

A zoom is recommended for airshows as the subject will vary enormously in size and distance throughout any show.

70-300ED focus speed, sharpness and CA were all issues for me.

Sample 80-400VR, focal length approx 350mm

http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...o=2469&cat=504
Old 14-02-06, 22:28
Admin

I've had a couple of 70-300 ED's over the years. Not that bad but not deserving of the price tag, nor the ED tag. I found it sharp enough if you stopped down to f8+ at 300mm but not a pretty site at 70mm @f5.6 I didn't find colour fringing a serious problem until it went in front of a D2x. As Stephen says, AF is slooow.

The 300 f4 prime would be great for the birds, even get a teleconverter on and still get AF but I think you'd want the flexibility of a zoom for aviation though. The Sigma 130-400mm maybe interesting, i think fellow WPF member Greypoint uses one, or has done.

cheers,
Andy
Old 15-02-06, 06:50

Yes - the 135-400mm is a good budget buy - I used one all last summer. Like most budget lenses if performs best in brighter weather when you can stop it down a bit. The great thing is it's lack of purple fringing in sunshine. I had a Tokina 80-400mm for a while too and that did suffer a bit from CA and was also harder to hold. The 135-400 is pretty easy to handhold if you keep the shutter speed up. The Sigma 70-300 APO is similarly good. The other way to go - which i'm presently doing - is the Nikkor 80-200mm f2.8 which can be got for around 300.00 on Ebay. A superb fast 80-200 which doubles as a 160-400 with the addition of a 2x teleconverter for longer range [or a 1.4x could be used]. Weighs a ton but easy to hold!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/greypoint/sets/

Last edited by greypoint; 15-02-06 at 06:53.
Old 16-02-06, 22:51

Thanks for all of your advice.

Stephen and Andy - thanks - I think I can remove the ED lens off my list then ...

Greypoint, I know its hard to compare, but how would you say the 80-200 + 2x T-con compare vs the 135-400 Sigma ? PQ wise that is ?

Thanks to you all,

Mark.
Old 17-02-06, 06:33

The obvious difference is the weight - the 135-400 feels quite a bit lighter. The 80-200 is a solid metal bodied lens and being te old type is push/pull - which people either tend to love or hate. With regard to quality of results I have'nt found a massive difference - but the 80-200 with the 2x on does occasionally show a bit of purple fringing on the edge of something like a sunlit swans wing etc. - I put that down to the cheap 2x I'm using as the lens itself seems pretty good. The advantage for me is that I often photograph birds that don't need a long telephoto and the 80-200 by itself is a great lens - and gives you 300mm at f2.8 which is brilliant in dull weather. The disadvantage of a 135-400 or 170-500 is the 'long' short end.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/greypoint/sets/
Old 18-02-06, 00:58

I get great results from a Tokina ATX 80-400, I can reccommend it. I don't know where Buckster get's them for £199 though, unless they're secondhand that is?

niofo.
Old 11-11-06, 19:22

Stephen is absolutly right. Save up, for a little more you can get the Nikon 80-400 VR. Nice used one are out there. I use this lens for air shows and it works great. All the air craft on my web site were shot using the 80-400 VR.
Michael
www.imagesbymichaelrogers.com