WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

Decent Camera Shops in ....

Old 29-12-10, 11:26

Default Decent Camera Shops in ....

Norh Yorkshire?
Tried Jessops at York, no use. And comet and currys and PC world (the latter wouldn't let me purchase their display Olympus EPL-1! ) The one in Malton doesn't do the Olympus EPL-1, and Jessops in Scarborough aren't answering their phone and neither are York Camera Mart.

Anyone know any decent ones?
Old 29-12-10, 11:39
Super Moderator

Cookie, is there a reason why you want the Olympus. Has there been good reviews that you have read. After reading this review I would think twice. http://thephoblographer.com/2010/04/...-1-review-nyc/

Have you checked out other brands and done comparisons.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 29-12-10, 11:42
Super Moderator

What price range are you looking at? it will give me an idea what may be more suitable as a first camera.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,

Old 29-12-10, 11:50

Saphire,
Thanks.
Yes, I have heard some good reviews, about how its so simplistic for a compact system camera but can shoot high-quality SLR standard shots. Just up my street. And after veiwing some informative videos on Youtube, it seems great.
I have £400 to spend, and I want a good warranty.
I have just re-dialed Jessops and they have one in stock. I think I am going to purchase it. I think it will be a good camera for me as a starter, really easy to use, especially with the size/ease-of-use.
Cookie
Old 29-12-10, 12:19
Super Moderator

Glad you found one in stock, but before you commit yourself to buy have a look at the Canon 500D they have them in Jessops.
Compare the two for feel and handling see which is easier to use, ask them loads of question and try to get a good deal they will give a little if you press them but do it with a smile.

Old 29-12-10, 12:22
Super Moderator

I don't know any shops in the area but there are a lot of good online dealers who might offer you a better deal. If you are looking for a smallish camera which is straight forward to use but offers good quality the the Panasonics are well worth a look too. I tried an Oly Pen and a Panny GF1 and far prefer the Panny - the kits lens is a better quality so the images tend to be sharper.
Old 29-12-10, 12:30
Super Moderator

Just seen your comment on a chess shot in the gallery saying that it is the sort of thing you want to do... If you want to have that of control over dof then you will need a fast lens. The 17mm f2.8 on the Oly Pen would be quite good for this but a Pany with a 20mm f1.7 or a Canon 500D with the 50mm f1.8 would be much better for this. I think it would be worth spending a bit longer looking at camera options and making sure that yu get a camera which will allow you to take the photos you want.
Old 29-12-10, 18:50

I brought the Olympus EPL-1!!
Saphire,
I tried my best to haggle with them in Jessops, but I didn't get to far. Maybe the old charm is wearing out! I do have 300 free 6 x 4 prints from them though.
Postcardcv,
Hello. Thank you for your advice. I did see the cameras you were talking about in the Jessops store, but I preferred the ease-of-use that the Oly had and the live-guide feature it provided. Also, thanks for noticing the chess-board photo comment. Stuff like that is just up my street, and I inted to purchase a faster lens in the forseeable future.

Well that is christmas and birthday money spent, memory card, filter, camera, and bag brought!