WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > News & Views from the World of Photography

News & Views from the World of Photography Discussion on the Latest News in the World of Photography

Sad news about Rollieflex.

Old 11-03-09, 19:24

Unhappy Sad news about Rollieflex.

A sad day for those that recognise the names Franke & Heidecke and Rolleiflex.

http://www.bjp-online.com/public/sho...ml?page=845439

Don
Old 11-03-09, 20:00

Oh dear, very sad.
Old 12-03-09, 02:04

Shame about such a well respected company biting the dust. I cut my photographic teeth on a Rolleicord VB and then a Rolleiflex F2.8 Planar. Magic cameras from a different era. SAD!!!

nirofo.
Old 12-03-09, 08:02

I too spent many happy years with various Rollei's in my hands, tis a sad day.

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!
Old 12-03-09, 15:45

Rollei always use to be such a well respected name.
As well as marketing some top notch medium format kit, as seen in the photo in the link, unfortunately for some time now, their brand name has been put on numerous low quality 'budget' digital point n shoot cameras. Only the other week I saw a 10mp compact digital camera on 'Ideal world' shopping chanel, it had the Rollei name on it "So you know the lens quality is going to be just great with this one".....only, it looked suspiciously like the Aiptek branded cr*p sold as stocking fillers for peanuts one christmas at Jessops. Truely dire, and not much to worry some of the better quality camera phones!
Pretty much the same has happened to other big names of the past, for example, Vivitar and Carl Zeiss.
I would not be at all suprised if we see other name licencing being sold to electronics giants. Maybe names like Hasselblad and Sinar? (tho I think the former are doing very well at the mo?)

It's a real shame, and so sad when a big name goes bump. But one has to wonder and ask the question of where the company was headed, some time ago.
Old 12-03-09, 19:35

Latest update on the story as this also affects Leaf and Sinar, as Franke & Heidecke manufactures their digital medium format cameras.
http://www.bjp-online.com/public/sho...ml?page=846120

Don
Old 14-03-09, 22:31

I was very young when seeing Zeiss going out of existence but that was to be sacrificed only to be replaced by other giant Japanese. To say the least, losing one wonderful manufacturer to another's. Unfortunately the black hallo crowning on top of todays economy is a totally different devil. It has become so norm these days to see the greatest giants' name going down the grave of history. It was only few weeks back that a local rich guy after being chased by police for a while, terminate his life using his hand gun, inside his car, after that last cruise in his exclusive Benetly... Seems a story that will be heard again and again these days...

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN
Old 06-11-09, 22:19

Quote:
I was very young when seeing Zeiss going out of existence
It might be the same name with a different headquarters, but fortunately some quality optical instruments are being made with this badge......unfortunately the name may be over used with other poorer consumer products too tho