WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > Flash Photography Technique

High speed sync flash

Old 30-08-13, 02:31

Default High speed sync flash

I'm new to using flash for shots but I was trying to take high speed shots and use my flash but was limited to 1/250 when I popped up my onboard flash on my Canon 60d. I did some research and found out that I need an outboard flash for the hot shoe that can high speed sync because I want to take some indoor shots at 1/2000 or faster. I read but I'm unsure what kind of flash unit I need that will speed sync with my Canon. I have been looking at the Sunpak PF30X/DigiFlash 2800 E-TTL, but their description doesn't say whether it has high speed sync feature. If a flash unit says it's E-TTL capable does that mean that it can high speed sync? Does the Sunpak PF30X/DigiFlash 2800 E-TTL have high speed sync and if not can anyone give me a list of flash units that have HSS capability that will work with my Canon 60d? Thanks for any help.

1hdr4u.
Old 30-08-13, 16:51
Super Moderator

Why do you want to use such a high shutter speed - the duration of the flash will be fast enough to stop most movements. I'm not sure what the duration of the on-board flash is (you may be able to google it) but it will get faster as the power is reduced. With my Canon 580Ex the slowest flash duration is 1/1000 & it goes up to 1/35000 at 1/128 power - see this link Canon-580ex-flash-duration
Old 31-08-13, 03:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidders View Post
Why do you want to use such a high shutter speed - the duration of the flash will be fast enough to stop most movements. I'm not sure what the duration of the on-board flash is (you may be able to google it) but it will get faster as the power is reduced. With my Canon 580Ex the slowest flash duration is 1/1000 & it goes up to 1/35000 at 1/128 power - see this link Canon-580ex-flash-duration
How fast would onboard flash be in order to freeze motion? Also, I just ordered a Newer TT560 which has different power settings and wondered if that would do the job as far as freezing water drops etc.? Thanks.
Old 01-09-13, 18:07

Default New shots

I recently took some photos of water drops without having to use a high speed shutter and just using my onboard flash. I had the shutter at the maximum allowed which is 1/250, but from what I am learning, I could use a lower speed shutter and still get the same results. Any helpful critique would be welcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Edit 2IMG_8659_edit-Edit.jpg (63.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Edit 2IMG_8675_edit-Edit.jpg (116.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Edit 2IMG_8666_edit_edit_edit-Edit.jpg (533.9 KB, 7 views)
Old 01-09-13, 20:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hdr4u View Post
I recently took some photos of water drops without having to use a high speed shutter and just using my onboard flash. I had the shutter at the maximum allowed which is 1/250, but from what I am learning, I could use a lower speed shutter and still get the same results. Any helpful critique would be welcome.
Shutter speed is not important, as you will see from this photo. Shutter speed 1 sec.
However the power setting of the flash at 1/32 is very important. A low power setting increases the flash speed, but you do need a darkened room.

Harry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Watersplash2.jpg (229.1 KB, 13 views)
Old 02-09-13, 10:17
Super Moderator

I feel that the images need some sort of reference point. They all look to me as though they are taken looking down on the water droplets. As a result there is only a limited part of the image in focus. The images Ive seen tend to have the camera more horizontal / in the plane of the splash / droplets <<<Like this>>> or include some other object in the image <<<Like this>>> to give some context to the image.