WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

which is best? sigma or Tamron?

Old 03-03-09, 20:21

Default which is best? sigma or Tamron?

I am looking at getting a 70-300m lens for my sony a200 but the more i read the more conflicting are the reports. I was almost made up to buy the Tamron 70-300mm F4/5.6 DI LD Macro then read that the Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro was the better one.

But i have now read that there seems to be a problem with the Sigma ones with the gears stripping from the camera motors.

advice from anyone on this would be welcome also as to if I should pay extra and have the APO version? for a beginner would I notice the difference? or would it be a case of wanting to get the better version a little bit down the line and then having to buy whole new lens then instead of now?
Old 03-03-09, 20:40

To answer your question, there is no clear winner with either brand. It is not possible to say that Sigma is better than Tamron, or vice versa. This is why you are seeing "conflicting" reports. Is it worth paying for the APO version? Personally, I'd say yes, but my needs, priorities, and what I consider it's worth paying for a lens are almost certainly different to yours.

These are relatively slow, relatively cheap lenses. As such, you won't get wonderful performance out of the non-APO versions, especially at max zoom and wide open apertures. This applies whichever brand you are talking about. The APO will give better results, but only you can decide if it's worth paying for.
Old 04-03-09, 10:18

This is a question that could provoke many a strong reaction. Second only to the questions like, which is best Canon or Nikon, Velbon or Manfrotto, Pc or Mac etc!!....
Last time I looked (admittedly, quite a while ago), the difference between the APO and non APO Sigma's was only about £40.
Glass is the only real difference between the two, but personally I would go for the Sigma APO one as I seemed to recall it was marginally faster in the auto focusing department comparing it to the Tamron.Though the speed will vary wildly depending on the camera body you are putting it on. However, many have said they prefer the handling on the Tamron competitor.
Would advise you to go along to a camera shop with your own camera body and try both lenses, to see which one you personally prefer.
Good luck

Last edited by Joe; 04-03-09 at 10:23.
Old 04-03-09, 17:49

Thanks for the replies. I think I shall do as you suggest and take my camera and take a few shots then have a look at home and see which one I prefer.