WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

500 mm lens

Old 08-10-09, 21:52
Super Moderator

what brand of camera are you using? I'm only asking as the Sigma 150-500 retails for ~£700 which if you're a Canon user would but you in the region of a used 100-400 IS or 400 f5.6 both of which will out perform the Sigma or the Tamron. Sure you won't have as much reach but a good quality 400mm will be better than a lesser 500mm.
Old 08-10-09, 22:03

Im currently using a sony a200 so if you have got any other suggestions i would be glad to hear them.

Thanks Andrew
Old 10-10-09, 14:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew66610 View Post
Hi does the Sigma 150-500 OS and the Tamron 200-500 lens give the same sort of results or is one a better quality than the other.

Andrew
Hi Andrew

I have been using the Tamron 200-500 for about 3 years now and can say without hesitation the quality of results is consistantly excellent. I also have a Nikon 500 f4 AFS which is second to none for image quality, what I can say without hesitation is the Tamron at 1/8 the price of the Nikon gives me results that I am hard pressed to distinguish between at times. Where there is no comparison is at the extremes of use, I can use the Nikon wide open and still achieve fantastic results, the Tamron I use stopped down to f8 to achieve more than excellent results, (at the 500mm end of course). This obviously means I need more available light or have to up the ISO rating to achieva a useable speed setting at f8. If I was working on a limited budget, or needed a lens which would give me more mobility when travelling then the Tamron is the way to go, it works well hand held for flight shots etc, (did I mention that I use it mainly for wildlife). It's lighter than the Sigma and according to many including myself, gives better results and that's what counts.

Here's a couple of shots from the Tamron.

nirofo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Redstart male.jpg (156.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Dunlin breeding plumage 4.jpg (179.9 KB, 15 views)
Old 10-10-09, 18:58

Don't think that the Tamron has been put up against the new 150-500 in any reviews, don't get confused with the old Sigma 170-500 that I had. Not doubting the Tamron is a super lens but unless any one has used both in the same conditions then an individual can not really comment on which is better. This is quite interesting http://www.juzaphoto.com/eng/article...500_50-500.htm
and this is always a useful site http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/
Hope they help.
Old 10-10-09, 22:24

Hi Mike

Yeah that was an interesting artical.

Thanks Andrew