WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

Lens advice please (Canon)

Old 01-04-06, 15:46

Hi Anthony,

Thank you so much for all your thoughts on the 70 - 200 which I will seriously consider for one day, though at present, believe it or not, I'm still with a Fuji Finepix S5000 for all my macro shots as it's got such a great macro mode! Though I know well that there are SO much better ones about - one day!

Re the 300 (with or without the 1.4) I do realise just how good they both are, but after having the one that failed, it's made me too wary. I have done as you've advised though and thought "how much use would I get from the 400 lens then made my mind up"!! I've decided definately on the 400f 5.6, but thanks so much for the valuable advice Anthony, much appreciated indeed.

Sue
Old 01-04-06, 15:49

Default Thank You!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by postcardcv
I know that this lens has been in short supply - if you're struggling to find one try my local camera shop (01362 693 506), they had it in stock a few days ago so it might still be there.
Hi Peter,

Thank you so very much indeed for giving me the number of your shop, I've no idea what the chap said it was called (I was too flustered!) but he was so good and so I ordered it late yesterday and it will be HERE on Monday!! I'm thrilled to bits and can't wait to try it. Again Peter, thanks so much for all the advice and the contact for which I'm so very grateful.

Sue
Old 01-04-06, 16:00

Talking

Thank you to you ALL for helping me out so very much indeed with your advice over the lenses.

As you may have seen from my reply to Peter, I've gone ahead and ordered the EF 400f 5.6 Prime and, all being well, it should be with me on Monday!

After coming back to the board to get the reassurance from your posts, then seeing Annette's results - I know I've done the right thing and am delighted.

Thanks so much EVERYONE I can't thank you all enough! I'll let you know how I get on, you can bank on that for sure!

Best wishes, Sue
Old 01-04-06, 22:12
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue
Hi Peter,

Thank you so very much indeed for giving me the number of your shop, I've no idea what the chap said it was called (I was too flustered!) but he was so good and so I ordered it late yesterday and it will be HERE on Monday!! I'm thrilled to bits and can't wait to try it. Again Peter, thanks so much for all the advice and the contact for which I'm so very grateful.

Sue
Glad to be of help - it's just a small local camera shop, but they stock a great range of lenses (I guess they do a lot of mail order), always very helpful.

Hope you enjoy your new lens, I'm sure you will.
Old 01-04-06, 22:41

You have made a good choice,Sue,this is a terrific lens ,esp for the price.It does not have IS,but because of its light weight that is not really a problem,and it is much sharper and brighter than a Sigma 300 F2 I tried.
Good luck and happy shooting Sue.Look forward to seeing your images.

http://www.haverigg.com

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/2356
Old 02-04-06, 00:30

Thanks for getting bck to me Christine, I do feel so very happy about it now and shan't be sleeping much tomorrow night for sure! Don't worry Christine, I'll let you know when an image taken with it goes on, shan't be able to stop myself!! Thanks again for your help and advice.

Sue
Old 04-04-06, 01:30

Talking Brilliant

Hello everyone,

Well, it's here and so far I'm very pleased with it indeed, though on tenter hooks with it for most of the day, a bit like holding a baby at times!

You were right with the weight and AF though, no problem with either after having got used to the 300mm. I'll have to work on the flight shots a bit, nothing like your Cormorant Annette! I did get some beautiful Robins, a Nuthatch, WW's, Chiffchaff and Ducks and can't get any on here as I'm having problems so far, yet manage ok on BF. Any difference that I'm unsure of I'd be pleased to hear about?

I'll put a couple on the gallery in a minute. One beauty of a Duck I did get was a Yellow-billed Duck or African Yellow Bill (anus undulata), an obvious escape, but superb anyway.

Thanks again everyone.