WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

Lens Hoods (and now filters)- How important are they?

Old 15-04-06, 07:07

The metal hood on the front of my Nikkor 80-200 is great for taking the knocks it gets when out and about. I try to always remember a lens hood but can't say i noticed a difference when using my 135-400 Sigma - i was always forgetting the hood for that.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/greypoint/sets/
Old 15-04-06, 22:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirofo
Why would we all want to remove our filters, I always have one of some description fitted on the lens, even if it's just a UV to protect the front element. The only time I don't use a front element filter is when using my Nikkor 500mm f4 (125mm front element), it has a built in protective glass front element. Also when using a macro lens with a deeply recessed front element, as in Tamron 90mm macro.

nirofo.
Now I am confused!!!.Today ,I removed my filters,now I should replace them!!!

http://www.haverigg.com

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/2356
Old 16-04-06, 02:27

Hi Christine

You don't have to use a filter if you don't want to, however, if you think anything about your lenses you'll use one to protect the front element. It's easier to clean fingerprints and dust from a filter, they're also cheaper to replace than a scratched front element. They're also very useful in cutting down the effects of haze, as in a UV or a 1B, a must in mountainous or hilly terrain. Don't even venture near the sea with your expensive lenses if you don't have a filter fitted, sea spray makes an awful sticky mess on a front element. An 81A or 81B can be useful to warm up a landscape and although not particularly necessary, gives a pleasant overall effect which is generally more acceptable to the eye than a plain without filter shot, (although not always). As I said earlier, I always have one on my lenses unless physical size and cost prohibit one. The glass from which modern filters are made is now probably as good if not better than the lenses they're fitted to, image degregation is no longer a problem providing the filter is kept clean, the same applies to camera lenses. Filters from the likes of Hoya, Sigma etc are very good, some of the multicoated ones are better corrected than the lenses. Remember, you can always take the filter off if you think it really necessary.

nirofo.
Old 16-04-06, 19:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine
Now I am confused!!!.Today ,I removed my filters,now I should replace them!!!
Christine,

It's all a matter of personal opinion. Having seen the results of John's tests with and without filters, (here http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...read.php?t=912 if you're interested), I'd recommend you do your own tests with and without a 'protection' filter. Look at the results and decide if there is enough of a difference to warrant having/not having a filter fitted. There are benefits and disadvantages to either school of thought, it all depends on the results you get, with your kind of photography.

Different people take pictures of different subjects where the inclusion of a filter is beneficial. John has found a filter is not right for him, I suggest you do some tests and see what difference it makes to you.

Duncan
Old 16-04-06, 20:30

Unless you need to have the camera ready instantly (which, I admit, I do when I've got my 400mm mounted) then you should already have a perfect device for protecting your lens which won't affect the performance in any way - unless you leave it in place, that is! The lens cap.

By keeping the lenshood extended on my 400mm at all times when I'm out, I've never had any problems with damage to the front element, though nirofo's comments on sea-spray need to be kept in mind.

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...00/ppuser/1805

'Write when there is something you know: and not before: and not too damned much after' Ernest Hemingway
Old 16-04-06, 21:08

Yes,I think I will replace them,they are only the basic Hoya ones,and I did purchase them specifically to protect the lenses.But i only have them on the 100-400 and the 400F5.6,not the macro or Tamron .I am not very good at cleaning the front when they are dusty,due to being unable to grip the cleaning cloth properly,at least I can rinse in warm water,then polish and replace.But it is interesting to read the different comments,will do a "test" when I have time.

http://www.haverigg.com

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/2356
Old 16-04-06, 21:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine
Yes,I think I will replace them,they are only the basic Hoya ones,and I did purchase them specifically to protect the lenses.But i only have them on the 100-400 and the 400F5.6,not the macro or Tamron .I am not very good at cleaning the front when they are dusty,due to being unable to grip the cleaning cloth properly,at least I can rinse in warm water,then polish and replace.But it is interesting to read the different comments,will do a "test" when I have time.
Christine,

I understand where you are coming from in the comment on dust. I would suggest that is all the reason you need to have filters on. As you say you can remove the filter and soak the dust off if necessary, would not be advisable with the front element of the lens. I have the same problem on a rally field. If I was to scratch the filter in cleaning it I can at least replace relativly cheaply.

Don
Old 17-04-06, 06:42

I think this may be where Christine is coming from re not using a filter. Both shots taken on a tripod with remote release - same lens, same distance. It cost nothing to do a similar test - would you use this filter if you had results like this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg filter test.jpg (106.6 KB, 23 views)

MY WEB SITE
MY PHOTOSTREAM

Last edited by Roy C; 17-04-06 at 07:04.
Old 17-04-06, 19:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy C
I think this may be where Christine is coming from re not using a filter. Both shots taken on a tripod with remote release - same lens, same distance. It cost nothing to do a similar test - would you use this filter if you had results like this?
If I had results like that from my filters then they would go staight in the bin! The cheapo filters are nothing more than ordinary glass tarted up a bit to look like filters. Invest in quality filters from the likes of Hoya, B&W, Sigma etc., they'll serve you well for many years if you look after them. You can of course opt for your camera makers own filters, Nikon, Canon etc. They do tend to be more expensive and without the range of choice you get from the independant manufacturers, but then the independants probably supply the camera makers in the first place!

nirofo.
Old 17-04-06, 20:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirofo
If I had results like that from my filters then they would go staight in the bin! The cheapo filters are nothing more than ordinary glass tarted up a bit to look like filters. Invest in quality filters from the likes of Hoya, B&W, Sigma etc., they'll serve you well for many years if you look after them. You can of course opt for your camera makers own filters, Nikon, Canon etc. They do tend to be more expensive and without the range of choice you get from the independant manufacturers, but then the independants probably supply the camera makers in the first place!

nirofo.
For Info this was a Hoya filter - but not the most expensive and it did go straight in the bin.

MY WEB SITE
MY PHOTOSTREAM

Last edited by Roy C; 17-04-06 at 20:35.