WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS USM

Old 24-12-05, 19:10

Default Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS USM

I am awaiting delivery of the canon 70-200 f2.8L IS USM lense and 2x teleconverter, can anyone who has this lense give me their opinions and advice on this long awaited piece of equipment?.
Old 24-12-05, 19:33

You should not be dissapointed with this lens.
I have the non image stab' version and it is very sharp and very fast focussing with a Canon 20D.
What camera body are you using?
The only downsides to it are its weight (you might find it a tad heavy to carry for long periods!) and the fact that its an obvious white L series lens will atract attention.
Old 24-12-05, 19:45

Default Canon 70-200 F2.8L IS USM

Thanks for reply, i use the 20D.
Old 25-12-05, 01:43

Default 70-200 Is

It is an exceptional lens. I use mine mainly for shooting motocross and other sporting events. I'm not much of a fan of the 2x TC, especially when used with a zoom lens. I ended up selling my 2x for a 1.4x and I havn't looked back since, the degradation of the image quality is pretty noticable with the 2x but hardly at all with the 1.4. I'v also experienced an error message (erroe 99 I think it was, a bad contacts error) when I shoot with this lens on my 20D vertically, after some investigation I'v discovered that it is not uncommon at all for this particular combo to do that, even when the contacts are spotless. It doesn't happen very often but it can be quite frustrating. All in all though I think you will be thrilled, I'll never sell mine.

Cheers,

Russ
Old 25-12-05, 20:14

Default Canon 70-200 F2.8L IS USM

Thanks Russ for that, thats good news as i mainly do action/sport photography and that was one reason i opted for this lense. Hmmm, shame about what you say about the 2X, i really juggled around with the idea whether to get the 1.4 or 2x, perhaps i have made the wrong choice their. But never mind il see how things go, have you posted any shots of your motorcross days? regards.