WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

FX or DX? Thoughts?

Old 02-08-08, 21:50

Quote:
'More equipment = less pictures' is the old adage and there's more than a hint of truth in it!...
I can't see how this makes any sense. More kit = more photos, as you'll want to try it all out??
...there's always room for more kit in the bag/s....even if much of it is only older secondhand stuff

Last edited by Joe; 02-08-08 at 21:57.
Old 03-08-08, 07:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
I can't see how this makes any sense. More kit = more photos, as you'll want to try it all out??
...there's always room for more kit in the bag/s....even if much of it is only older secondhand stuff
With a static subject, maybe you'll have time to set it up properly and choose the right piece of kit from your extensive range.

But, if you've got lots of kit and it's all packed away neatly into a rucksack-type camera bag and a subject presents itself briefly - well, you can fill in the rest of the scenario yourself! The photographer with just one camera with one lens attached and another in his pocket will get two photos - one of the subject and the other of his mate faffing about trying to sort out his kit from his neatly-packed rucksack (and he'll then move onto yet another subject whilst his mate is packing it all together again!).

There's also the situation where there might be a photo in a subject but without the right lens on at the time you decide it's perhaps not worth the effort of going through the rigmarole of sorting out the right kit - and, of course, the next time you pass that way the light has changed or the farmer has cut down that photogenic dead tree, etc., etc.

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...00/ppuser/1805

'Write when there is something you know: and not before: and not too damned much after' Ernest Hemingway
Old 03-08-08, 08:27

Back to FX / DX, during a moment of boredom I looked for D3X rumours and found this interesting video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n77Obs9r14Q

It was an assumption of mine that the 'X' would have a DX but it seems this rumour has it as FX sensor with a 17M odd FX crop.

Other interesting rumoured spec's its the max shutter of 1/2000 and sync speed of 1/1000 and ISO 12-640 without any boost. It would appear the D3X rumoured here would be definitely a studio camera.

If true, its not for me!
Old 03-08-08, 09:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
I started out with a D80 and kit lens and got plenty of great shots. However I remember covering a Cyclo-Cross race and couldn't get any pictuires in the woods due to poor light. Thats now a situation I have remedied with my new kit - so I'd say for what I do (sports) then yes, it is required.

The reason I don't post as much is because of time, I'm taking more pictures but spending a lot of time downloading and processing them, like now. I have been asked to cover a friends wedding so I'm learning this side of photography as I don't want to let them down. I spent all day yesterday with a professional (I admire anyone who does weddings - it was the hardest day I have ever done with my camera) who shot with a Canon 30D and kit lens. She has often been asked by guests who turn up with much better equipment why she uses such basic kit and her answer is always the same - "look at my work, I don't need anything else." I agree entirely and felt uncomfortable with all my kit, because I would never have used much of it.

So it's clear, decide what you need - not what you want.

And just to jump back on topic, FX or DX? For me both. For sports and wildlife the extra reach makes it a must, as cropping FX just does not work the same.

My New Website

Last edited by Derekb; 03-08-08 at 10:04.
Old 03-08-08, 10:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canis Vulpes View Post
Other interesting rumoured spec's its the max shutter of 1/2000 and sync speed of 1/1000 and ISO 12-640 without any boost.
Well that was good for a laugh.

Looks more like write a load of specs on a sheet of paper, cut it up, dump bits in a box then have a lucky dip to gradually fill in the blanks.

Fear not Foxy, although the replacement will be FX I am sure that HS crop equivalent will be at least 1 stop better than the X for noise.

D2X ............... well that was designed as a studio job that was also able to do a lot more. Expect similar from its replacement.

Don
Old 06-08-08, 11:17

Front page ad banner suggests a good plot for one of your DX cameras Andy. IR conversion. Those pics should be right up your street.

Somewhere Wolfie posted that he had had that done with one of his Canon cameras.

Well worth a look at Sassans gallery as he has some good IR pics.

Don

PS : Link to Harrys thread http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...ead.php?t=3134

Last edited by Don Hoey; 06-08-08 at 11:32.
Old 06-08-08, 17:13

Thanks Don, I normally wander about with two bodies, and one or two extra lenses depending upon what I'm expecting to see and shoot, but converting one to IR is a great idea. For the time being I've decided to stick with D3, D300 and D2x. The D2H and D200 are going. I'm also going to thin out the glass a bit so watch this space for some bargains in the near future. I think the D2X would be great as an IR Body and I saw the post about IR conversion. I will be off the forum for quite some time shortly as Lindsay and I are moving to North Wales - to a bungalow which will make things easier for her and for me. Take care everyone and I look forward to getting back among you all as soon as possible.

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!
Old 06-08-08, 19:38

Hope the move goes well and you settle into your new home quickly and happily.
Old 07-08-08, 10:26

Echo Mikes post Andy. Good luck with your move.

Don
Old 11-11-08, 16:27

I recently got a D700 having gone into shop to get D300. As an older nearly 57 years the old eyes start to dim and the much brighter viewfinder image of the full frame did it for me before any consideration made as to larger sensor. Which I suppose compares to large frame film equivalents of old - best for big blow ups. As a non techie who thinks art rather than numbers I have found the D700 just gets me good results I what I used to consider impossible situations. I found the D3 (apart from cost) far to heavy - you would be very happy with D700.