WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

Nikon SLR Camera Upgrade Question

Old 25-05-06, 22:01

Question Nikon SLR Camera Upgrade Question

I have been in Norfolk Cameras today and had to keep hands in pockets well apart from a play.

I have a D100, and squinting through its viewfinder in room light conditions for manual focus, is driving me mad. With a more resonsive A/F system I could at least use the focus confirmation light. Having looked at the D200 and D2X, I have come down on the side of the D2 series. Viewfinder ( D200 great screen brightness, but as I wear glasses there is not enough eye relief ), A/F, D-TTL flash compatable with my existing kit.

I have a number of quality M/F Nikkors but other than my 80-200 my A/F lenses are mid range. 18-35ED f3.5-4.5 and the swiss army lens 28-105 f3.5-4.5. On a 6mp D100 these are fine, but would the 12mp of the D2X be too much resolution for them. I generally fill the frame so although more resolution than the D100 would be nice it is not an essential. As I will probably have to make a sale to aquire the camera I will not be able to upgrade the A/F lenses in the foreseeable future.

D2X - 12mp or D2Hs - 4mp.

Don
Old 26-05-06, 01:35

Hi Don

Where do you get the idea that a digital camera will have too much resolution for a Nikkor lens? To my mind you can never have too much resolution, even Velvia 50 can't resolve the full resolution of a Nikkor lens.
Old 26-05-06, 07:13

You can find out what sort of resolution figures you get for many lenses on a Nikon D200 by visiting www.PhotoZone.de. You need to go to the reviews section. I suspect your lenses will perform on a par with the best when stopped down to F8 and F11. I find the eye relief on the D200 fine and I wear eyeglasses. You might want to consider changing your eyeglasses to a pair with frames that sit closer to your face. That would be cheaper than a D2x...

Leif
Old 26-05-06, 09:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirofo
Hi Don

Where do you get the idea that a digital camera will have too much resolution for a Nikkor lens? To my mind you can never have too much resolution, even Velvia 50 can't resolve the full resolution of a Nikkor lens.
Nirofo,

I have no question in regard to my M/F Nikkors in respect of the D2X resolution. I have used them with Tech Pan film so I know how good they are. It is only the two mid priced A/F lenses. From what I have read the X's high sensor resolution will show up faults not evident on a 6mp sensor, hence the question.

Don
Old 26-05-06, 09:13

I my opinion Nikkor lenses are great however some better than others. I extensively used two lenses on my Fuji S2, 24-120VR and 80-400VR. Both lenses produced sharp usable images on my former camera but when I switched to D2X, I expected super clear sharp large images but they were no better than S2. After reading forums and racking my brain in disappointment I braved a pro lens (200-400VR). I became real happy with my new lens and body combination and surpassed my expectations. I have replaced all lenses with a pro set and all give splendid large images and only little USM is required on the final resized version. I understand Don's query and all I can advise is try it!

Go back to Norfolk cameras and try your lenses on both D2 bodies and look carefully at the images back home.
Old 26-05-06, 09:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif
You can find out what sort of resolution figures you get for many lenses on a Nikon D200 by visiting www.PhotoZone.de. You need to go to the reviews section. I suspect your lenses will perform on a par with the best when stopped down to F8 and F11.
Leif
Leif,

Thanks for the link usefull reading.

Don
Old 26-05-06, 09:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Fox
I my opinion Nikkor lenses are great however some better than others. I extensively used two lenses on my Fuji S2, 24-120VR and 80-400VR. Both lenses produced sharp usable images on my former camera but when I switched to D2X, I expected super clear sharp large images but they were no better than S2. After reading forums and racking my brain in disappointment I braved a pro lens (200-400VR). I became real happy with my new lens and body combination and surpassed my expectations. I have replaced all lenses with a pro set and all give splendid large images and only little USM is required on the final resized version. I understand Don's query and all I can advise is try it!

Go back to Norfolk cameras and try your lenses on both D2 bodies and look carefully at the images back home.
Stephen,

Very useful post thank you. S2 similar to D100 so I can check 24-120VR on Leifs link as my lenses don't appear.

Unfortunately Norfolk cameras do not have the ' Hs ' or it would be easy. I guess the market for that is more limited so they have no demand or reason to stock it.

Might have to think about using an ' X ' with M/F lenses as an option. My main subjects are not fast moving - 10mph or less.

Don
Old 26-05-06, 10:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey
Stephen,
Unfortunately Norfolk cameras do not have the ' Hs ' or it would be easy. I guess the market for that is more limited so they have no demand or reason to stock it.
Don
Quite, I have a feeling D2H and D2Hs are not good sellers but owners swear they are as good as higher resolution sensor models, D200 included.

As you know I fancy a D2Hs but am waiting for price reductions or a used unit to come along.
Old 26-05-06, 10:23

Quote:
Quite, I have a feeling D2H and D2Hs are not good sellers but owners swear they are as good as higher resolution sensor models, D200 included.

As you know I fancy a D2Hs but am waiting for price reductions or a used unit to come along.
Stephen,

I have the feeling that the ' Hs ' may well better my D100 due to the clean image. Never seen a comparison though.

Lower price of an ' Hs ' would allow scope for a bit of nice A/F glass.

Don
Old 26-05-06, 15:10

Quote:
I extensively used two lenses on my Fuji S2, 24-120VR and 80-400VR. Both lenses produced sharp usable images on my former camera but when I switched to D2X, I expected super clear sharp large images but they were no better than S2. After reading forums and racking my brain in disappointment I braved a pro lens (200-400VR). I became real happy with my new lens and body combination and surpassed my expectations. I have replaced all lenses with a pro set and all give splendid large images and only little USM is required on the final resized version.
I am curious about this. Are you referring to the 80-400 when used wide open, or at all apertures, compared to the 200-400 F4? I would have thought that the 80-400 would be indistinguisable on A4 prints at F11 and maybe F8. But that's just a guess.

I have a 24-85 AFS lens that cost a pittance (£150) and is as sharp as more expensive lenses and a prime at 24mm below F5.6. I have always understood pro lenses to give a) better build and sealing b) better edge performance wide open and stopped down 1 stop and c) a faster maximum aperture. Mid-range lenses are usually decent enough, but the latest cheap Nikkors are a bit iffy.

Leif