WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

Which Bridge Camera

Old 24-03-10, 19:11

Default Which Bridge Camera

I am about to sell my Nikon D40 SLR, as although I love it, I cannot afford to buy the lenses that I want. I would really love a Macro and wide angle lens, but they are both way too expensive.

Could someone please help me decide which bridge camera would produce good quality photos, also though it can't cost too much as I will only have the money I get from my Nikon D40 with kit lens 18-55 plus a Nikon 75-240 zoom lens. So, I'm looking at about £250 tops. I don't mind 2nd hand at all as long as it's in good condition.

I really liked the sound of the Fuji S2500HD, but it doesn't have a filter thread, which is important, as I love to use polarisers and couldn't be without one! Also, I know I never thought I'd say this, but I would also like the movie shooting feature too.

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance.
Old 24-03-10, 20:27
Super Moderator

Noooooo Sally ... don't do it. Having had a bridge camera, within six months I got disillusioned with it - the smaller sensor makes images nosier and they're just not quick enough between pressing the button and taking the picture.

If you want to try macro work... for a lot less money than a macro lens - try either a close up lens/filter or extension tubes.

Getting serious wide angle is more difficult on a budget ... but a bridge camera wont give you that either

Stick with your D40 (my first SLR was a match needle fully manual with a 50mm standard lens no zoom) you've got loooods more versatility than that
Old 24-03-10, 20:50

Thanks a lot for your reply Gidders!

I really do love my D40 (though a D90 is my current dream camera, if I had the money!) and really wasn't sure about selling it and going back to a bridge camera. It's just as I said, I feel pretty limited due to only having the 18-55 and 75-240 lenses, also this lens is only manual focus due to the D40 having no internal motor. I am thinking of selling just the 75-240 and seeing if I can do what you suggested and get either a close up filter or extension tubes. Think I will have to forget the wide angle for a while though. My friend says that if I marketed my photos properly, I could probably sell some and make enough money to buy all the lenses I needed...Nice thought!

Thanks again!
Old 24-03-10, 21:13

Possibly something like this might suit you.
Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ38 with f2.8-4.4 Leica DC Vario-Elmarit lens is the 35mm equivalent of 27-486mm.

Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ38

Jim
Old 26-03-10, 09:32

I know how it is not to have money, I make do with just the standared len that came with my camera.
I think you will have to work out, what kind of pictures do you take the most, what lens do you need most.
Could you find 2nd hand? Just a thought may not be a good one, never used 2nd hand lens.
I would not want to go back to a bridge camera. However had a Fuji & it was a good camera.
Old 26-03-10, 10:23

Thanks for the replies, but my other half has now ordered me the Canon 500d from his catalogue! So I'm really happy and excited about getting it in two weeks!

I will probably sell my Nikon D40, as although it takes fantastic pictures, the lenses for it are too expensive, plus the 500d has a bigger and better sensor. Also, I can't really justify having two SLRs. The 500d only comes with the 18-55 image stabilized lens, but as my other half also has a Canon 1000d, we'll be able to share lenses and the Canon lenses aren't as expensive.
Old 26-03-10, 14:15
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally View Post
... and the Canon lenses aren't as expensive.
Yer right
Old 26-03-10, 14:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidders View Post
Yer right
Doesn't it depend on what lenses you get? I looking at getting a EF-S 55-250mm F4-5.6 IS., which is on ebay for £160.
Old 26-03-10, 16:21
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally View Post
...and the Canon lenses aren't as expensive.
I'm going to mention this to my wife next time I buy a lens... "well at least it's not one of those expensive Nikons"

The 55-250 IS is a superb value lens amazing quality for the money one of the gems of Canon's cheaper lenses.
Old 27-03-10, 09:58

Very nice, hope you have lots of fun and enjoy your new camera.
From what I have read 500d sounds like a good choice.
2 weeks can feel like a life time.