WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

Think I want a Nikon d5000

Old 29-03-10, 22:56

Default Think I want a Nikon d5000

OK, so the situation is I only posses (actually my mothers!) a meague kodak compact and occasionally have use of a Panasonic Lumix bridge camera and lately I've been hankering after a proper camera ....been doing a bit of research and the above Nikon looks a pretty safe bet, I can afford it but just wondering how much use I'd be able to get from it considering I've never used a DSLR before. I know about the basics of exposure etc but not having used a DSLR I'm thinking perhaps I should stick with a cheap bridge camera while I bone up on the more technical stuff?

I assume I could always use the full auto mode or auto/scene modes while getting to grips with manual/custom settings...would pictures taken on auto modes be greatly inferior to those taken in custom settings?

Matt
Old 29-03-10, 23:30
Super Moderator

I think that if you are planning on getting a DSLR then do so as soon as you can, you will see a real difference in IQ compared to your bridge camera especially in poor light. The auto modes will work well I am sure, and I am confident that you would get to grips with the settings quite quickly.
Old 30-03-10, 08:25

Agree completely with Peter, go for it, you won't regret it.
Old 30-03-10, 09:17

Smile

The DSLR (in my case a D60) certainly opened up my world. I'd been a point & shoot man up to then and made much of the fact that I could slip the little camera in my pocket. Whilst carting the kit about can be a pain, the returns in terms of versatility and controllability of the DSLR outweigh the downside. I would unhesitatingly recommend you get one and play with it. (Use program or auto mode as a back up, if it's a "must get" shot but then switch to one of the modes where you're in charge and see what you get.) Good luck!
Old 30-03-10, 09:54

the sooner you get a DSLR the sooner you can play and learn..good luck and have fun

Trena
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep. : Scott Adams
Old 30-03-10, 12:33

I was interested to read the following review :
" Nikon's recent announcement of the 12.3MP Nikon D5000 adds a new camera to the digital SLR mix that also offers the option of 720p HD movie recording to complement still photography.

With features largely borrowed from the Nikon D90, the Nikon D5000 mainly differs in that it is designed to appeal more to those that are looking for a camera that centers around automatic user friendly operation, while incorporating similar technologies and delivering the same level of image quality provided by the Nikon D90. The D90 remains aimed at enthusiast level photographers that prefer more manual control options and an extended feature set.

That is not to say that the Nikon D5000 is not loaded with advanced capabilities, rather that the camera is specifically designed to appeal more to novice digital SLR users, providing easier to use Menu layouts and simplified buttons and controls. The inclusion of 19 automatic Scene shooting modes and the Vari-angle LCD monitor on the D5000, are features that have previously only been available on Nikon's Coolpix point and shoot cameras."

I notice there are several kit versions available - most come with the 18-55 VR lens or the 18-105 VR lens some offer a second lens as well but the price increases considerably. The 18-55 and 18-105 are both very good walk around lenses and I would recommend either as good places to start. Try and handle the camera with both lenses on and see which is best for you. Any Jessops branch should be able to do that for you - you don't have to buy from them in the end. Nikon have several cash back offers on until 30/4/10 which may help push your budget out a bit. Looking forward to hearing you have taken the plunge

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!
Old 30-03-10, 16:05

If you find you know the basics now is the time to get an SLR - it will let you apply that knowledge and extend it further.

Nowadays anything made by the Big 4 camera companies (Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax) is a safe bet, just choose the one in your price bracket.

Also be aware that lenses determine what you do with your camera and what the results look like far more than the body, so don't blow all your money on the body, save lots for a decent lens.
Old 30-03-10, 16:10

You'll find the nikon will have a question mark that will flash on the screen, you press a button and it will give you tips. I found this feature very helpful.

also maybe do an evening course for around 40 pounds.........after you will hardly ever use auto again and be more adventerous with the manual settings.
Old 30-03-10, 17:22

Thanks for all the replies, just wanted to put my mind at rest before splashing the cash!!

Matt
Old 30-03-10, 20:06

I have found that since I got my DSLR last year I think carefully with my point and shoot now and get better images than I did before. I have even held a filter in front of it for example.

Andrew.