WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

dSLR with the most manual override

Old 10-05-10, 18:44

Default dSLR with the most manual override

Hi

Being a 70's SLR junkie I was just wondering if there are dSLRs that offer similar amounts of manual control that is so accessible. When I one day decide to buy a dSLR I would want one that lets me instantly adjust shutter speed and aperture using physical controls placed at my fingertips. Oddly enough this is the sort of information I can't get from the spec sheet. Let's say that for less than £550 including kit lens, is there a camera that has two control wheels for adjusting things? I really hate diving into submenus to get to my settings.
Old 10-05-10, 19:16

I can only speak for the Canons I have owned (20D, 40D, 7D) which all have a good old fashioned mechanical dial to turn to select aperture mode, shutter priority mode, programme mode or whatever then a wheel next to the shutter button to turn to select the value. ISO is press one button then use the same wheel to select ISO, same for white balance or focus mode or metering pattern or whatever. At the end of the day though if the time ever comes you will have to go to a shop to check things out on whatever model you are interested in at the time. Always a good idea to check out handling and feel any way.
Old 10-05-10, 20:00

You mean even the 7D only has one control wheel? Even my EOS 30 has one near the shutter and one on the back around the arrows.
Old 10-05-10, 21:47

It has the knob to select Tv, Av, Program etc plus the wheel next to the shutter button plus the so called command dial on the back. The point I was making is that selecting shutter speed or aperture or whatever is quick and simple but there are many many settings in the menu system for fine tuning. Down load the manual and have a little light read! However as I have said it is easy and quick enough to use full manual control like a film camera.
Old 10-05-10, 21:50

Oh right it still has the command dial which I was referring to. That's programmable I assume to whatever function takes your fancy. Do you know if the 400/500D have this feature?
Old 10-05-10, 23:27

Alex. I'm also a 70s film shooter so I naturally use a DSLR the same mostly in full manual.

The 500 is slightly different as it does not have the two dials, only the main dial situated above the shutter release button. In manual mode this dial will adjust the shutter, but on depressing the AV button ar the rear of the camera it will then adjust the aperture.

Camera Manual can be downloaded from http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...nloadDetailAct

Harry
Old 11-05-10, 07:55

Alex, just about all of the budget dSLR will have one wheel plus buttons to set the function to be adjusted. It's no big deal really. If you spend more money then you get 2dials that can be programmed to your heart's content. There's plenty of used "older" models, i.e. last years hot buy that can be picked up relatively cheaply that will have 2 dials and fit your budget.
Old 11-05-10, 08:55

Alex, the Nikon D100, D200, D2x, D300 all have two control wheels that can also be programmed to your hearts content along with programable preset shooting banks that you can switch to at the touch of a button. I would particularly recommend that you look at a D2x. It gives you great control and is viewable through the viewfinder.

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!
Old 11-05-10, 16:47

D90 also has these features andy.....
Old 11-05-10, 18:01

Thanks Lee - I've never held one but I think it's common to most middle and upper range Nikon's. I mentioned the older ones I know about because the prices of those second hand is quite good.

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!