WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

Lens Versus Megapixels

Old 24-03-06, 09:14

My only TC so far is a cheapy Jessops 2x one bought for the princely sum of £30 in a sale pile. ;-)

It works really nicely with my 80-200mm f2.8 L. I try and make sure I take everything with me before making a purchase. It helps to avoid frustration when I get my new toy but can't use it :-(
Old 24-03-06, 12:27
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammie*dodger
So do Nikon ensure that older Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, etc (NAF) lenses work on their newer bodies then? If so I could be tempted to defect next time I wnat to upgrade my camera body.
Why should it be up to Nikon or any camera manufacturer to ensure third party lenses work? The thrid-party companies have a responsibility too.

All NAF designated lenses will physically fit onto a Nikon/Fuji body (and work to some extent, even very old manual lenses)... but there's more to it than that with advanced metering systems using the lenses, as well as various AF issues. So not all the modern advanced functions of a camera will work with all lenses.

Lenses are no longer simply bits of metal and glass, they are complicated electronic devices in their own right.

cheers,
Andy
Old 24-03-06, 12:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
Why should it be up to Nikon or any camera manufacturer to ensure third party lenses work? The thrid-party companies have a responsibility too.

Lenses are no longer simply bits of metal and glass, they are complicated electronic devices in their own right.

cheers,
Andy
I totally agree Andy, I think the complexity of the electronics part often gets overlooked.

Don
Old 24-03-06, 12:55

This is the problem when a 3rd party reverse engineers a solution. It is often their best guess of how it works. It may only work correctly for one configuration and not all.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated
Old 24-03-06, 14:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by robski
This is the problem when a 3rd party reverse engineers a solution. It is often their best guess of how it works. It may only work correctly for one configuration and not all.
Exactly!

I am surprised how many people buy these not inexpensive 3rd party lenses when there is absolutely no guarantee that they will work with the next camera body you buy. You know the one ... 24 megapixels, 10 fps and almost no noise at 6400 ISO.

To top it off, the Nikon or Canon lenses have great resale value if you decide you need something different or want to upgrade further.

That said, I do own 1 non-Canon lens ... excellent build quality and optics on the Tokina 12-24mm f/4.

And to keep things on-topic:

Regarding teleconverters - you cannot add a $200 2x teleconverter to a $1000 300mm lens and expect to get the quality of a $7000 600mm lens! Think about it.
Old 24-03-06, 15:56

Ok, so it's not just Canon then. I realise that the onus is upon the 3rd party but it's still a pain in the a**e to find out that your great lens no-longer works on your latest digital body.

A good example is that i'd like to buy the 170-500mm from Sigma. Being a cheapskate, 2nd hand looks good but which of these lenses will work on my 10D. All the ones I can find are too far to travel and I don't want to risk mail-order without being sure the lens will work.

Sigma are giving mixed messages about re-chipping at the moment so that's not entirely certain and I can't think of a Canon lens that fits that niche.

Rob.