WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > General Photography Technique

General Photography Technique Discussion on General Photography Technique

Nikon Capture NX

Old 24-12-07, 08:58

Default Nikon Capture NX

I hope this is the right place to post! When I use NX to satisfactorily adjust an image, but need (for example) to clone out something in Photoshop, I have to save it as a TIFF then as a PSD - at this point, if I have both images (NEF & PSD) on the screen, the colours are very different. Am I missing something?

I always print from PS anyway, as I've got all the profiles for paper and printer set up. If the monitor is calibrated, shouldn't the images look the same? I'm using the Adobe (1998) option.
Old 24-12-07, 09:52
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by exdragon View Post
I hope this is the right place to post! When I use NX to satisfactorily adjust an image, but need (for example) to clone out something in Photoshop, I have to save it as a TIFF then as a PSD - at this point, if I have both images (NEF & PSD) on the screen, the colours are very different. Am I missing something?

I always print from PS anyway, as I've got all the profiles for paper and printer set up. If the monitor is calibrated, shouldn't the images look the same? I'm using the Adobe (1998) option.
In NX there is also the 'Soft Proof on/off' at the bottom of the image window that gives better print preview assuming again that printer and paper are correctly set in preferences. I find this incredibly more accurate than anything in PSE4. One of the reasons I only use the latter as last resort is the apalling preview quality (mac powerbook G4). I do wonder whether this just applies to Elements or the real thing.

Another option if you also have access to a Canon usersource is to use DPP for cloning at which it is excellent (and printing, where its preview and layout is again excellent) and handles the tiff from NX and saves the clone in tiff with only a few extra kb instead of having massive .psd s around
Old 24-12-07, 10:00

Even if the monitor is NOT calibrated images should look the same using the same monitor. My advice is to remove all colour viewing profiles in Photoshop returning to default.
Old 24-12-07, 11:47

Chris - I'll try the soft proof option. I hadn't really noticed it!!

Canis Vulpes - I don't really think removing the profiles is an option. I've spent ages getting things sorted out so that what's printed is what I see on the screen. I've only just started using NX, having been used to CS2, so it's yet another learning curve, I'm afraid!

Thank you