WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > The Digital Darkroom

The Digital Darkroom The In-Computer editing forum.

Samsung 226BW widescreen

Old 27-04-08, 17:29

Default Samsung 226BW widescreen

Hello - not too sure where to put this, so maybe it will need to be moved.

I've just bought this monitor and am having a nightmare trying to calibrate it using the Gretag Macbeth system which worked perfectly with my old CRT. Does anyone know if the Nvidia GeForce 6600 is suitable with the new monitor? I did find something somewhere which gave a list of the sorts of cards which would be ok, but I just can't find the site again. Knew I should have bookmarked it.

Thanks
Old 27-04-08, 17:37

I used to use a GeForce 6600 with my Huey Pro monitor calibrator and Viewsonic VP930 flat screen, it had no problems at all, at least as far as the procedure went. I don't think the issue is with your GFX card, especially if you had no problems with this card and calibrator on a CRT.

I would check that you haven't got the monitor set to a fixed set of "sRGB" default settings which then don't allow the calibrator software adjust any settings. I have found that no matter how much I twiddle the settings on my flat screen display, it simply isn't as accurate, nor does it have the dynamic range or subtlety of shades of greyscale as my CRT.

Duncan
Old 27-04-08, 17:50

Having just done a bit of research, the Samsung 226BW is a TN type flat panel screen, which makes it fine for gaming, but perhaps not the most suitable for colour accuracy when viewing photos. You may struggle to get this screen accurately calibrated.
Old 27-04-08, 19:20

Thanks for the info - I bought this on the recommendation of one of our most experienced photgraphic society members. He did all the research before getting one himself, and several others in the club have bought them too, so I'm hoping there's an answer somewhere!

It seemd odd that when using the calibrator, the red, blue and green settings need to be around 80% red and around 20% for the other two, which gives (unsurprisingly) a magenta cast.

Someone else just set theirs to 50% for all three colours, so perhaps I'm being a bit too picky!
Old 17-06-08, 23:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by exdragon View Post
Hello - not too sure where to put this, so maybe it will need to be moved.

I've just bought this monitor and am having a nightmare trying to calibrate it using the Gretag Macbeth system which worked perfectly with my old CRT. Does anyone know if the Nvidia GeForce 6600 is suitable with the new monitor? I did find something somewhere which gave a list of the sorts of cards which would be ok, but I just can't find the site again. Knew I should have bookmarked it.

Thanks
I had lots of trouble getting my LG Flatron 22" right. The biggest problem was the brightness. Which threw out all the other settings. I used this site among others. I am now happy with the screen to print match.
http://www.drycreekphoto.com/index.html I presume you are using the HDMI connections.