WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

CS3 and brushes

Old 24-11-08, 21:29

Default CS3 and brushes

Hi - I hope this is the right forum. I've just spent a couple of hours with a friend who has CS3, XP home and sp3. On a seemingly random basis, some of the tools don't work, namely the brush section - brushes, healing/patch, clone, smudge, although the eraser worked for us tonight.

He says he can be using a tool on one picture, then when he goes to use it again - nothing. We've uninstalled/reinstalled/repaired, reset the tools and I can't think of anything else. It's probably something so simple, but does anyone have any ideas, please?

Thanks
Old 24-11-08, 22:53
Super Moderator

exdragon, I have had that problem from time to time, don't know why, mine is usually the cursor disappearing so all I see is a cross hair with no idea on its size. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will be along soon who can help you out, it can be very frustrating when you are in the middle of doing something and you lose the function of the brushes.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 25-11-08, 02:48

Not sure but could very well be due to your low real or virtual memory.

Try to increase your RAM if you can. Even if this issue is not taken care off, you still will see a lot of improvement on PS function that is a really memory hungry software.

Make sure your hard drive has adequate free space (At least 10 GB or so) that is where your temporary files get collected and it is so easy to fill it up with PS.
Cleaning your Temp (Temporary files) also help a lot. If you are a window user, click on Start, then Run and type exactly:
%temp%
When the list appears (All junks taking your hard drive space in Temp folder) select all and delete all. Warning! Well if something very bad happened to you, Of course I take no responsibility what so ever and don't run after me for liability... So do everything at your own risk.

Reduce the number of History for your picture post processing work, under the setting in PS.

Try to save less on PS format as it really takes up huge amount of HD space, that is unless if you save your files on an external drive or likewise that doesn't cause any shrinkage of your valuable, badly needed primary Hard drive.

Report back if none worked to see what else can be done.

================================

Christine: Wasn't that the activated "Cap lock" that kept you in that special mode?
Turn the Cap lock off and hopefully you have your curser back.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN
Old 25-11-08, 08:44

Thank you - I've forwarded your message on! He has 4GB of memory and I deleted the %temp% files, but I don't know the state of his hard driive etc. I'm waiting for him to let me know and then we can try again.
Old 25-11-08, 12:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire View Post
exdragon, I have had that problem from time to time, don't know why, mine is usually the cursor disappearing so all I see is a cross hair with no idea on its size. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will be along soon who can help you out, it can be very frustrating when you are in the middle of doing something and you lose the function of the brushes.
saphire, when the cursor disappears and you just get a cross hair, hit the caps lock key, this toggles the cursor between the brush and a cross hair
Old 25-11-08, 13:45
Super Moderator

Thanks Dan, I thought it was something simple. I like your avatar.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.