WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > General Photography Technique

General Photography Technique Discussion on General Photography Technique

R2880 and printing

Old 12-09-09, 14:24

Default R2880 and printing

Hello - could anyone tell me in which direction I should go, please? I've just bought the Epson R2880, have profiled my monitor with the Spyder3Elite and have had my different papers profiled.

I'm using CS3 and XP but am finding that the printed images are darker than on the monitor (I realise that the monitor is transmitted light and the paper reflected).

I can't find anywhere in the printer dialogue boxes which would allow me alter anything, and the printer automatically sets the media settings section to 'Off, no colour adjustment'. Not too sure what to do next!

Thanks
Old 12-09-09, 18:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by exdragon View Post
Hello - could anyone tell me in which direction I should go, please? I've just bought the Epson R2880, have profiled my monitor with the Spyder3Elite and have had my different papers profiled.

I'm using CS3 and XP but am finding that the printed images are darker than on the monitor (I realise that the monitor is transmitted light and the paper reflected).

I can't find anywhere in the printer dialogue boxes which would allow me alter anything, and the printer automatically sets the media settings section to 'Off, no colour adjustment'. Not too sure what to do next!

Thanks
I had a very similar problem with my set up when I tried to print through photoshop. My monitor is profiled, and I have custom profiles for my favourite papers. Just like you I found the print, even when using 'let photoshop manage colours' in the print dialogue box, to be very dark. However, printing through lightroom, using the same paper profiles, monitor profile etc produces perfectly acceptable prints much closer to the screen image - just the difference between backlit and matte surfaces. I suspect the difference is in the native gamma settings in the two programmes, but as I print everything through lightroom these days I never looked into it in any depth.
Old 12-09-09, 19:57

Thank you - I'm glad it's not just me! I don't have Lightroom as I also use NX2 (but print in Photoshop). A friend has suggested that I add an adjustment layer on top of all other layers and use Levels to add 1.15 or 1.2 brightness. I'm currently trying that and I guess I'll have used half a set of cartridges by the time I get something which matches the monitor.

Oh well...
Old 12-09-09, 21:24

At least once you have the correction worked out, you can set up a photoshop action for it to speed the process.