WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > WPF Photo Competitions Forum

WPF Photo Competitions Forum All the details for the monthly WPF Photo Competitions

Reverting to monthly? - VOTE FOR THE NEW COMPETITION FORMAT

Register to see Poll

There is a poll attached to this thread. You must be a fully registered member to be able to view or vote in this poll.

Old 04-08-09, 12:38

Andy, I suggested a beginner's section (for the reasons that you outlined) when I first joined WPF and got slapped around for it. It'll be interesting to see if opinions have changed in light of declining entrants.
Old 05-08-09, 08:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy153 View Post
I sometimes wonder if some members are intimidated by the standard of some others. Or think, I could never do that or take a picture like that. That is why in my Photography club days we always had a beginners section and a separate beginners competition. Once you had won a round in that - you had to join the seniors. Beginners could enter either competition, but seniors could only enter the senior one. We already have a group of Seniors who have won either the weekly comp, monthly comp and POTW. Just an idea and I'm very aware of the extra work this may place on our unsung heroes, the moderators and admin staff so the decision has to be theirs. Perhaps a couple of Competition only Mods could be found to help?
Having dual competitions running simultaneously sounds like a recipe for confusion. We get enough confused new members as it is not knowing where to post things.

The decision as to what gets done with the competition is very much down the membership, not the mods or admin. The infrastructure is all there, it's up to the members to use it as they wish. The moderators job is to do just that, to moderate, not to generate all the content on the site. Any member wishing to start a competition run on whatever lines they want to is free to do so, they can be a self appointed competition mod by doing so.

Here's my take on things, note, this suggestion has no more influence than anybody else's suggestion(s), it's just an idea, feel free to adapt as you see fit.

1st to 21st of the month is the period to enter pictures
entries have to be taken during that period
person who set the theme judges during period 22nd to 27th
person who set the theme offers short critique, awarding places for 1st, 2nd, 3rd
winner chooses theme for following week and announces it before the 1st of the following month
person who set the theme cannot enter their own competition

This basic idea is used by many other photography fora. A few points to note from experience of this sort of thing....
People are sometimes put off entering from fear they may win and then have to critique/judge, 2nd place is much coveted.
People sometimes get the huff because the judge's opinion did not match their own. That's life, get used to it.
A winner takes all approach can result in parochial judging where the same couple of people ping-pong the win between themselves for several months before one feels guilty and gives it to another. By forcing the judge to give reason/critique, this is effect hopefully reduced.
Different judges use different criteria to judge, this can lead to some very odd results, but that's life.... see above.

The point I'm trying to make is that whatever scheme someone comes up with will not be perfect. Whatever you guys want to do, the forum structure is there for you to do it. The competition format will be whatever the person who sets it up wants it to be.
Old 05-08-09, 08:33

Poll system as was for me..I like the fact that you cant see who's winning till you've voted
Al.
Old 05-08-09, 18:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Tee View Post
Poll system as was for me..I like the fact that you cant see who's winning till you've voted
Al.
Me too. Otherwise, I like Duncan's suggestions. Although, I dont see why voters couldnt add a post in the voting stage explaining why they voted as they did, if they want to - might make for some interesting reading.
Old 05-08-09, 21:36

I support the poll system as well, it's a very nice facility on the site. All the other points add up to a sound plan.

Graham
Old 06-08-09, 00:05

I also like the poll system.

Trena
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep. : Scott Adams
Old 06-08-09, 10:31

I go along with Duncan on this one. I have several misgivings with the poll system.
In it's favour it is simple to setup and nobody has to think about the vote too much.
Against because the images cannot be submitted anonymously other factors can affect the vote.

I've not been too active recently, either the topic has not inspired or recent events have taken up much of my time.

I think fortnightly maybe a better time frame. If you decide to opt out for one then a month is a long time to wait for the next.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated

Last edited by robski; 06-08-09 at 10:35.
Old 23-08-09, 21:47
Super Moderator

The discussions about the competition format seem to be going in circles a bit so I've decided to add a poll to this thread so we can see what if the prefered option. I've looked at suggestions put forward here and elsewhere and have come up with some choices:

1. reverting to monthly - 1st-21st for entries with a week for voting
2. reverting to monthly - 1st-21st for entries with a week judging by comp starter
3. fortnightly - 7 days for entries, 4 days for voting
4. fortnightly - 7 days for entries, 4 days for judging by comp starter
5. sticking to the weekend challenge in it's current format

I've added a poll to this thread which will run for five days (ending next Friday) and suggest that we start the next competition using whichever formant wins.
Old 25-08-09, 22:06

I've not entered often because I rarely have the time over a weekend, even when you lengthened it slighly to close a midday Monday, I would still only have Saturday and Sunday, one of which is my sport togging day, the other a family day on which my wife prefers I leave the camera at home unless I'm togging 'family moments'

It is a difficult one though and this post isn't helping much is it?

I like the all in one comp way things are run on here though, having two sections would only confuse matters and anyway, I want anything I enter to be judged alongside the best
Old 25-08-09, 22:24

Definitely all for a longer time frame. I voted for the current favourite but would be very happy with the other popular option. Either way lets give it a go for 6 months or so, it can always be refreshed after that.