WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > WPF Photo Competitions Forum

WPF Photo Competitions Forum All the details for the monthly WPF Photo Competitions

Are we inadvertently contravening the no discussion rule?

Old 28-04-15, 13:58
Super Moderator

Default Are we inadvertently contravening the no discussion rule?

When the fortnightly competition was set up in its current form, the 'no discussion' rule was implemented to to try to avoid influencing voters.

I've noticed recently that when people post their entries sometimes they also add some amplification of the subject matter, or an explanation of how the shot was taken etc. I suspect this has come about because when posting one's entry, if you put the image title in the post title box, then the forum software won't let you submit the post until you put something in the message box. The way round this is to leave the title box blank & put the image title in the message box.

Does this influence votes? I don't know, but I was prompted to create this thread by Robski's entry in the last competition (which I voted for), where, on learning how the shot was created, I remember thinking "that's clever - I'm not sure I would have understood the shot without the explanation." Would I have voted for it without the explanation? I'm not sure; maybe - maybe not. As it happened it didn't affect the outcome.

We used to see some people post a 'behind the scenes' giving more background to the shot after the voting closed which I found quite interesting & informative. My view is that we should revert to this but I would welcome other people's thoughts & please feel free to disagree.
Old 28-04-15, 23:10

I didn't realize you couldn't write in that section,I thought it was just no comments on the images...
I let Mo know the no comment rule and he deleted a comment from the new creepy crawlie comp.

I also voted for Rob's image after thinking, that was clever.
I also wrote on mine about my grandsons train ride, not realizing you were not supposed to write anything about the subject matter.
I am happy to stick to the rules of no commenting,but to me it seems a bit unfriendly, we have a very small group who participate as it is...I think in the end you will vote for the image you like the best, which was what I did.

ps..I went through a lot of old fortnightly comps and there was quite a bit of descriptions in that section.
I wasn't there at the start when it was a monthly comp, I like the idea of each monthly winner went into a new comp at the end and there was a yearly winner.

Trena
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep. : Scott Adams

Last edited by Tugboat; 28-04-15 at 23:30.
Old 03-05-15, 17:20

For me
Post your shot name the shot end of,then after the challage you can comment on the shot ETC

Last edited by John&me; 03-05-15 at 17:23.