WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

First camera

Old 16-11-11, 20:59

Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate your help. I think I'm more like to get the canon (possibly 60D) with a 18-200mm lens. I will also get a spare battery and card. Once again, your replies have been a great help, it's nice to get information from semi-pro/pro photographers, at least you know exactly what you are talking about! One last question, what are your views on filters (circular polarizer/UV filter)

Thanks again, All the Best

James
Old 17-11-11, 10:44

The polarising filter is very useful in certain circumstances but is not a filter you leave on all the time, it's just for use at the correct time. As you turn the filter to get the effect you want remember that you can lose up to 2 stops of light.
UV filters and skylight filters have a very subtle effect and are usually left on all the time to give protection to the actual glass of the lens itself. I believe you can now get purely protective plain filters. The down side is that people claim that they degrade the quality of the image (some lenses seem more sensitive to this than others) so if you do go for one get a high quality multi coated one.
Old 17-11-11, 19:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoll View Post
The polarising filter is very useful in certain circumstances but is not a filter you leave on all the time, it's just for use at the correct time. As you turn the filter to get the effect you want remember that you can lose up to 2 stops of light.
UV filters and skylight filters have a very subtle effect and are usually left on all the time to give protection to the actual glass of the lens itself. I believe you can now get purely protective plain filters. The down side is that people claim that they degrade the quality of the image (some lenses seem more sensitive to this than others) so if you do go for one get a high quality multi coated one.
Thanks miketoll, very useful, I'm guessing you need the polarising filters when taking pictures of water to reduce glare? Or anything else that may reflect light, but it sounds like a UV filter or skylight filter is the one to get.
Old 18-11-11, 15:36

Polarizing filters do allow you to cut glare except from metal objects so you can often see through a window properly or below the surface of water. To my mind the best use is to remove glare from foliage and such like in a landscape which increases saturation. Also darkens a blue sky particularly if you are shooting at right angles to the sun. The effect varies depending on the quality and direction of the light. Best avoided with a wide angle lens as a blue sky can end up looking blotchy with different parts of the sky varying in saturation. Fun but I would not bother with one until you have more of the basic equipment and more experience.
Old 19-11-11, 12:38

Quote:
Polarizing filters do allow you to cut glare except from metal objects so you can often see through a window properly or below the surface of water. To my mind the best use is to remove glare from foliage and such like in a landscape which increases saturation. Also darkens a blue sky particularly if you are shooting at right angles to the sun. The effect varies depending on the quality and direction of the light. Best avoided with a wide angle lens as a blue sky can end up looking blotchy with different parts of the sky varying in saturation. Fun but I would not bother with one until you have more of the basic equipment and more experience.
Thanks, much appreciated information, if I do get a camera, I will wait until I have a bit more experience, but I would have to wait anyway, as I need to save up for anything else myself. (Lenses, case, tripod, and anything else that could improve photos and ease of use e.t.c)
Old 19-11-11, 15:28

Yes, it is better to buy things one bit at a time anyway as in time you will know what sort of photography appeals most to you and then add accordingly and as funds allow. Oh and as the wife allows too if you are married!
Old 20-11-11, 00:23

Quote:
Yes, it is better to buy things one bit at a time anyway as in time you will know what sort of photography appeals most to you and then add accordingly and as funds allow. Oh and as the wife allows too if you are married!
I'm only 14 so not married but my Mum does really look over me on whatever I want to do, i.e. buy a camera, but I will be getting a job next year (hopefully) so before long, money won't be as much as a problem in the future.

Thanks for your help

James
Old 20-11-11, 07:27

Not sure if you have been to this site yet, but it has lots of info.

www.dpreview.com
Old 20-11-11, 17:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurid View Post
Not sure if you have been to this site yet, but it has lots of info.

www.dpreview.com
Yes I have been to this website, it is very useful, I'm also looking at DigitalRev reviews on Youtube, also very good.

Thanks

James