WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

Your Nikon D7000 experience??

Old 11-10-11, 10:15

Default Your Nikon D7000 experience??

Good Morning

I had intended to set out and buy either a Nikon D5100 or a Canon EOS 600 but over the weekend went to Park Camera in Burgess Hill, West Sussex and was offered more help than you can imagine.

Anyway I did what many of you suggested and played with the cameras and got a good feeling for what felt right in my hands and was surprised to say that I just did not like the feel of the Canon at all. I am not a snob and feel fortunate to have some money to buy a nice camera but I felt the Canon was light, too small for my hands and far too plastic like. Now I wouldn't have felt this before but I held a Nikon D90 before the Canons and it felt so much better. Yes it was heavier and more bulky but I loved the feel of it and I liked the layout. Anyway I got a little extra money from work this week and after being shown various cameras from the Nikon range I am now looking at the Nikon D7000. I loved the D90 but wanted something newer and I firmly believe in buying the best you can afford so with your help and before I commit, can anyone here tell me of their experience of this camera, if any have it??

Oh and please don't take offense to my Canon comments, the 60D was a different kettle of fish all together!
Old 12-10-11, 11:21

Default D7000

Most of the reviews of the D7000 I have read say that it's a superb bit of kit with a slight tendency to overexpose in certain circumstances. My D90 tends to do this as well but I just use the exposure compensation to get round it.I would love a D7000 but my D90 does what I need at the moment so I'd rather use my money for better lenses.If you have the funds, buy the best you can that suits your needs. Incidentally, I bought my D90 second hand(from MPB) and there are quite a few about at the moment, presumably from "upgraders" at reasonable money-I've only seen one D7000 so far and this was a factory refurb.
Prices of new D7000 bodies are dropping all the time-cheapest I've seen is £749.

Dave
Old 12-10-11, 14:02

Hi Dave

Thank you for your message, its very much appreciated. What you have written is what i have read and been told. My only fear was that it was slightly complicated and would take time to learn but thats fine by me. I did seriously consider the D90 as it felt great in my hand but knowing its already a slightly older model and i like you say, want to buy the best i can afford, of course taking into account the lenses, this just floated my boat. I understand it has many better features than the D300 which really appeals to me as i aspired to own a D300. At the end of the day i have worked hard to earn my money and i feel i deserve it, just dont tell my wife!!!
Old 15-10-11, 10:36

Smile

Hi Dorsetman

Hope you do not mind me adding this question to your post about the D7000.

Like yourself, OH and are considering buying a Nikon D7000 at the moment.

We are going on an arranged 'birding' holiday towards the end of November 2011, and can only afford one lens at the moment

Which lens should we get to cover our holiday time? We would prefer to get one of the Nikon Lenses?

Regards
Kathy
x
Old 17-10-11, 09:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peewit View Post
Hi Dorsetman

Hope you do not mind me adding this question to your post about the D7000.

Like yourself, OH and are considering buying a Nikon D7000 at the moment.

We are going on an arranged 'birding' holiday towards the end of November 2011, and can only afford one lens at the moment

Which lens should we get to cover our holiday time? We would prefer to get one of the Nikon Lenses?

Regards
Kathy
x
Hi Kathy

I spent the whole weekend in Jessops and other stores making sure that i got the right camera and lens. In the end i have gone for the D7000 and the 18-105 lens kit and have invested in a seperate wide angle and macro lens. The 18-105 is more than worthy to begin with and has a really great zoom. I read some reviews on it and the feedback is really very good and being a Nikon lens, its a quality piece of kit. Some say that the camera is a little cramped for big hands but i have very large hands and its fine, a pleasure to handle in fact. You will need to take some time in learning the many features it has but its worth it. The results i had yesterday on my tripod were excellent and i will get the pictures up on here over the coming few days. Im really chuffed and you will be too Kathy!
Old 21-10-11, 15:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorsetman View Post
Hi Kathy

I spent the whole weekend in Jessops and other stores making sure that i got the right camera and lens. In the end i have gone for the D7000 and the 18-105 lens kit and have invested in a seperate wide angle and macro lens. The 18-105 is more than worthy to begin with and has a really great zoom. I read some reviews on it and the feedback is really very good and being a Nikon lens, its a quality piece of kit. Some say that the camera is a little cramped for big hands but i have very large hands and its fine, a pleasure to handle in fact. You will need to take some time in learning the many features it has but its worth it. The results i had yesterday on my tripod were excellent and i will get the pictures up on here over the coming few days. Im really chuffed and you will be too Kathy!
Thank you for your answer Dorsetman

OH and I will purchase the D7000 camera, and we will let you what we have decided going by other peoples thoughts about the lenses

Regards
Kathy
x
Old 21-10-11, 15:10

Well i went and invesed in a Sigma 10-20mm wide angle lens. I havent had a chance to give it a proper go yet but im hoping to this weekend. So far im blown away but be warned, you will find the focus a touch tricky to begin with and i suggest reading the manual several times as there is a huge amount to take in. Even users upgrading from the D90 have had to start again in many ways. It sounds like its better to be new to Nikon and the camera than to have been a Nikon user before as they seem to have changed an awful lot.

Definately buy one though, its an awesome bit of kit. Ill get some pics on as soon as i can.
Old 21-10-11, 15:32

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorsetman View Post
Well i went and invesed in a Sigma 10-20mm wide angle lens. I havent had a chance to give it a proper go yet but im hoping to this weekend. So far im blown away but be warned, you will find the focus a touch tricky to begin with and i suggest reading the manual several times as there is a huge amount to take in. Even users upgrading from the D90 have had to start again in many ways. It sounds like its better to be new to Nikon and the camera than to have been a Nikon user before as they seem to have changed an awful lot.

Definately buy one though, its an awesome bit of kit. Ill get some pics on as soon as i can.
Hi Dorsetman

Sounds a great bit of kit and the fact you have suggested that it is better to start afresh with all new equipment, and not to get current optics and new optics in a muddle - makes sense to me

Will get stuck into the new 'Nikon' manual as soon as possible.

Look forward to your seeing your photos on here

Regards
Kathy
x
Old 10-11-11, 12:31

Thank you for all your replies here, and my OH took all your suggestions on board

Anyway, my OH came home with the D7000 last night plus one extra lens 70 -300.

I hope this is the appropriate lens for our holiday at the moment until we can afford other lenses.

OH bought a SDHC UHS-I Card also as it is supposed to be good.

So pleased and it is quite a bit of kit too.

Regards
Kathy
x
Old 10-11-11, 17:01

Hey Kathy and OH

Im so pleased for you, i know you wont regret it, its a wonderful camera. OF course buying it was the easy bit, learning how to use it was far more tricky. I am on a course in January to learn how to get the most from it which will be very interesting.

It would be great to see your pictures from your holiday. I understand the Nikkor 300mm lens is brilliant.

Glad you joined the club, now perhaps we should set up a Nikkon D7000 appreciation thread.......