WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

Recommendations for places to buy.

Old 16-01-06, 11:57

Default Recommendations for places to buy.

I thought it might be useful to have a positive thread to see where we get our gear, who we rate as suppliers, and why. I'm mostly a Nikon user and based in the UK. Here's mine.

Warehouse Express - incredibly fast, accurate service.

A.J. Purdy - good stock availability, good prices. will sometimes deal.

Grays of Westminster - Nikon heaven. a bit pricey but has the feel and attentive service of a victorian emporium or Jermyn Street tailors, but inside the walnut cabinets is almost everything Nikon make. Really knowledgeble staff who frequently go to Japan. What marks them out, I think, is that they are actually Nikon users and really understand the equipment.

Aperture Photographic - based on Museum Street in London, fantastic for used Nikon and Leica gear, and they have a little cafe in there where you can hang out with photographers and overhear interesting conversations.
Old 16-01-06, 13:12
Admin

I would agree with all of those, especially Aperture Photographic... purchased my 600/4 from them and they would've personally delivered it me instead of postal carrier if I had wanted.
Warehouse Express: Fast, reliable and invarably cheaper than most. They have massive buying power to enable cheap prices, as well as massive selling power that pleases the manufacturers. Their range is impressive for wildlife photographers.

Park Cameras: in Haywards Heath have an excellent reputation from everyone I know who has dealt with them, either in person at the shop or via mail order.

Mifsuds: Good secondhand lists and negotiable on price in my experience. Reliable service.

Camtech: same as above.

Digital Depot: in Stevenage, and famous for mail order of compact digital cameras but they invariably have stock of the very latest dslr's. When the D2x was first launched, these cameras were nowhere in shops and dpreview was full of those trying to find them.. first phone call i made was to digital depot and they had 3 on the shelf. Same story for previous Nikon cameras, though they were a bit slow on the D200.

SRS Microsystems: My local shop (plus Rayners Lane branch), good secondhand lists and knowledgable staff (a rare thing today).
Old 16-01-06, 13:54
Super Moderator

I manily use two places:

1. Norfolk Camera Centre in East Dereham - it's my local camera shop - friendly, knowledgable staff, competitive prices (when I got my 350D they were as cheap as anywhere online), some nice secondhand gear - it's where I got my Sigma 500 f4.5.

2. warehouseexpress - great price, great service. I have had problems with a couple of lenses from them, but these problems have been sorted out very swiftly. The mail order return section is often worth a look as you can get even better deals.
Old 16-01-06, 14:18

I had a problem with Warehouse Express a couple of years, or so, ago when they didn't have the item that I ordered on line in stock. Without going into details let's just say it turned out quite farcical (well they made me laugh, anyway!) and I swore I'd never use them again. But as other people were continually reporting good comments on them I've started using them again with no problems and a very good price on a tripod that I'd been after for some time.

Park Cameras have always delivered next day whenever I've used them.

Incidentally, it must be said that it's the delivery companies that do the overnight delivery not the dealers, so we should say a big thank you to them, really.

Another thumbs-up for SRSMicrosystems from me - I bought my Sigma 400mm lens, which is far and away my most-used optic, in their January sale at an extremely attractive price two years ago. It's always worth checking their sale prices (this year's bargain must have been the Nikon 45mmP lens at £139)

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...00/ppuser/1805

'Write when there is something you know: and not before: and not too damned much after' Ernest Hemingway
Old 16-01-06, 20:09

Well, since this is "World" Photography Forums, I'll chip in with my 2 cents (Canadian) with the two stores I buy most of my gear from in Toronto:

1. Aden Camera - www.adencamera.com
2. Downtown Camera - www.downtowncamera.com

Of course, the big franchise here is Henry's (www.henrys.com), but I find the prices a bit on the high side.

cheers,
jim
Old 17-01-06, 20:50

Agree with most of the above choices, but as already stated,the mail firms are all at the mercy of the "man with the van".I have had no problems with WHE or Mifsuds all have given me a good deal, matched prices where required and either delivered on time or kept back items for me to come and look at.
Another point perhaps in relation to Second Hand/Preowned (leica) items ,is that a common definition of terms like MINT etc are what they mean, so that if you are dealing with equipment that you cannot readily see, THEY ARE WHAT THEY ARE DESCRIBED AS, and that the dealers can be relied upon with their descriptions.
regards Subzero.
Old 17-01-06, 21:18

I've had nothing but good experiences with Park Cameras. Fantastic advice from their in-store staff. The only point against them is that they won't deliver to my work address. So, if I can't visit in person (and they're 80 miles away) I tend to order from Warehouse Express.
Old 17-01-06, 23:17

Warehouse Express: I had a problem with a Leica filter and WE were very helpful, exchanging it for a Nikon one at their suggestion. Very helpful.

Norfolk Camera: I bought a used lens. It was as described. Friendly people too.

Digital First: I used to live nearby so I would pick up equipment in person. Very friendly and they often give a free extended warranty.

Fffordes: Generally good second hand gear, though it's best to ring them and ask them to describe the item over the phone so you know what it's really like.

Mifsuds: Good for selling used gear on commission. But I regularly had to push them to get the money once the item had sold as they never chased me up.

B&H Photovideo of NY: Worth it just to hear the NY Jewish accents and known by some as "Beards and hats". I've found them very good to deal with.

7dayshop: I used to buy film (remember that?) and batteries from them and they were excellent. I've heard bad stories though ...

Jessops: There are better (and cheaper) places ...

Grays of Westminster: Doubtless they know their onions, but too posh for an oik like me. Maybe for the Queen and Michael Winner.

Assorted professional photographers selling in small ads etc: I've had numerous unpleasant experiences dealing with pros. The gear was usually thrashed, the descriptions were often blatantly dishonest, and the prices were too high.

Leif
Old 17-04-06, 07:14

www.warehouseexpress.com always i have never had a problem most of my gear i bought from them.
Old 17-04-06, 12:42

Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada & Ocala National Forest, Florida, USA

Future Shop. It's virtually the only game in town.