WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

macro madness... the Canon MP-E65

Old 07-10-09, 16:12
Super Moderator

Default macro madness... the Canon MP-E65

Last week I got offered a Canon MP-E65 lens at what seemed like a good price. I'd looked at it in the past and fancied trying one so I figured I'd buy it and see how I went (if I don't use it much I'll just sell it on). It's a mad lens that gives 1:1 true macro at ~ 4 inches and the goes in from there getting down to 1:5 at ~1.5 inches. Given the extreme magnification the DOF is very shallow so getting the focus right is a challenge, I'll be investing in a focusing rail next. The next challenge is lighting, for testing I've been using a camera mounted flash and a small reflector. It's not an ideal set up so I'll be trying the focus of camera next. If anyone else on here is using one I'd be interested to hear how you set it up.

I have a feeling that getting the most out of this lens will take a lot of practice, hopefully some when my daughter isn't hanging on my leg! I'm going to keep at it for a while and will post some results on this thread, hopefully they'll start to improve soon. Attached are a few of the first shots with it, far from perfect but they give an idea of what this lens can achive. All uncropped, a daisy, a screw and a coin at ~1:5 and the screw at 1:1 to give some scale.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg daisy_7712.jpg (80.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg screw_7724.jpg (139.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg money_7741.jpg (149.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg screw_7731.jpg (62.8 KB, 11 views)
Old 07-10-09, 16:49

Interesting, it will certainly be challenging to master both technique wise and suitable subject wise. I will watch this thread with interest.
Old 07-10-09, 18:58

Just to add a comment to this thread....
Today a scrap Sigma 28-200mm D lens was taken apart at work. Shortly after found to be not an economic fix.
However, all was not lost. With a dead filter ring/step ring and some araldite, the front element makes an amazing close up lens!!
.....I guess finding a broken 28-200mm on ebay like an old sigma,Tamron,Paragon,Sirius,Hanimex (Ham-and-eggs),Sunagor,Makinon etc (loads were made), might prove a cheaper option than going for a large size closeup filter?...bearing in mind the front elements are normally atleast around 70mm diameter, so could suit a Cokin P series system.

just an idea, to help save someone some £££