WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

sb 900 nikon flash DIY mod

Old 21-09-11, 06:20

Default sb 900 nikon flash DIY mod

hi everyone,

has anyone found a good external diy battery pack mod for the sb 900. not sure of the connections on the front of the flash but looking to hook it in there. should be 6V. if that is clear to me i think i ll just go ahead and design one .

cheers rusty
Old 22-09-11, 03:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustyhands View Post
hi everyone,

has anyone found a good external diy battery pack mod for the sb 900. not sure of the connections on the front of the flash but looking to hook it in there. should be 6V. if that is clear to me i think i ll just go ahead and design one .

cheers rusty
The connection on the front of the unit are for high voltage input from the Nikon high power battery packs SD-8A SD-9, not low voltage 6volt supplies. If you want to make your own 6volt pack it will have to be via the battery compartment, easy to do if you're handy with the tools and a soldering iron, just make sure you identify the correct polarity for the 6volt battery connections. Have a look at the web links below for some ideas, there are probably others if you Google for them.

http://blog.davidburren.com/2003/03/...ower-pack.html

http://www.aljacobs.com/cables-for-f...s-flashes.html

http://photo.net/photography-lightin...s-forum/00VoM0

nirofo.
Old 22-09-11, 12:20

cheers, nice links. i ve started building this today should be done tomoz and then make some dummy batteries
Old 25-09-11, 06:58

yeah made the whole design and its ready to go but i have no power to the unit with the door open.... does the flash have a limit switch in it to say its closed and ready togo??
Old 25-09-11, 13:24

It's probable that you don't have a good solid connection with the battery terminals in the flash unit if you leave the door open, can you get power if you press down firmly on the dummy batteries to make sure you have a good contact. You need to cut a small notch in the bottom of the door to let the wire come through with the door closed, it shows you where to do this on one of the web link instructions. If you don't want to do this then you can either put something round the unit to hold the door tightly closed, or, the best way is to purchase a spare door from a Nikon service centre and adapt it for the wire to come through. Check your connections to make sure you have then correct, here's a photo showing the connections for a Nikon SB-800, they're the same for the SB-900.

nirofo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nikon SB-800 - SB-900 Battery Connections.jpg (348.5 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by nirofo; 25-09-11 at 16:07.
Old 25-09-11, 15:02

hi mate,

yeah i understand the theory of it but i am not getting any response from the flash :S does it need 4 dummy batteries in the sb 900?? i cant see how it would change anything. voltage onto the series circuit for the batteries. got me baffled. i press down as hard as possible and still no voltage. all tests of with a meter and still it doesnt work. very interlesting
Old 25-09-11, 16:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustyhands View Post
hi mate,

yeah i understand the theory of it but i am not getting any response from the flash :S does it need 4 dummy batteries in the sb 900?? i cant see how it would change anything. voltage onto the series circuit for the batteries. got me baffled. i press down as hard as possible and still no voltage. all tests of with a meter and still it doesnt work. very interlesting
See ammendment to my previous post.

nirofo.
Old 25-09-11, 17:23

Here's a schematic of what the actual connections from flash to external battery should be, it's very important that you get the polarity correct otherwise you could end up blowing your flash.

nirofo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nikon SB-800 + SB-900 External Battery Connections 2.jpg (167.8 KB, 29 views)
Old 26-09-11, 14:27

cheers for the schematic.... sorted the problem. got lazy and just used dowl as dummy aa s but then replaced it with two threads
Old 27-09-11, 08:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirofo View Post
Here's a schematic of what the actual connections from flash to external battery should be, it's very important that you get the polarity correct otherwise you could end up blowing your flash.
A bit of an off-topic, but I love your hand-writing!