WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

Jumping Ship

Old 15-10-07, 18:19

Default Jumping Ship

I have almost decided to jump the Nikon ship. I have always been a Nikon fan and I have a D80 + 18-135 and a 300 f4 and a Kenko 1.4x converter. I want to get a 500mm prime but I cannot justify or afford a Nikon. I could afford a Sigma and yes I know it is a good lens but I know that I will not be happy and will want to change it next year and I won't be able to do so as I have one chance here.

The Canon 500mm f4 has IS and I can just about afford it. It comes in almost £1000 less than the non-VR Nikon which is a considerable amount of change.

My questions are - am I mad selling my Nikon Kit and buying Canon.

and Secondly - beside the 500mm what should I be looking at. My main interests are bird photography, natural photography in general and landscapes. The Nikon 18-135 was a nice general lens - not brilliant but quite adequate and the 300 is a brilliant walk around lens for everything. I have had a look at canon and there does not seem to be a replacement for the 18 - 135. The Canon 300 f4 looks like a direct replacement for the Nikon. Should I look at the 28-135 + a 300 or just go for the 28-300, or the 17-85 and a 70-300 (DO or no DO). Some help is required.

I have done some sums and by selling my Nikon kit I will be over my budget but should be able to get a EOS 40D + 500mm f4 + ???

Thanks
Old 15-10-07, 19:53
Super Moderator

I got the Canon 500 f4 a couple of month ago and love it, I'm sure you'll really enjoy using it. The 300 f4 IS is apparently a very good lens too (though I've only used one briefly), I almost ordered one this week as a walkabout lens, but have gone for the 400 f5.6 instead as I always want more reach for birds. I guess a nice replacement for your 18-135 would be the 24-105 f4 IS, it's a great lens, but it doesn't come cheap.

I've never had Nikon kit so cannot comment on the change, I came to Canon from Minolta (an excellent move). Andy Bright made the Nikon to Canon switch earlier this year and he seems very pleased with it.
Old 15-10-07, 20:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hogan View Post

My questions are - am I mad selling my Nikon Kit and buying Canon.
Short answer YES.

I've been using Canon since 1976 and there is no way I would go over to the DARK SIDE just becuase they made a better lens.

Likewise if I was a Nikon user I would not switch to Canon.

It's not just the 500 lens you have to buy, but a new camera body and other lenes aswell. Then there are the extras such as flash and filters etc.

But, as always, it's your money and you have to live with the decission.
Old 15-10-07, 20:52

It would be interesting to hear what Andy has to say on the subject. Sold all his Nikon kit to get Canon.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated
Old 15-10-07, 20:53

All the systems have pros and cons - as I never buy things like flashes and stick to a couple of lenses [bought s/hand to avoid depreciation], I've never had any qualms about switching systems. Canon to Nikon/Fuji to Canon/Olympus to Olympus to Canon. Lens availabity can be a big incentive. If you're spending most of your money on a long lens then the 28-135mm IS is a pretty nice walkaround lens at a reasonable price - picked mine up for about 200.00.
I've always preferred Nikon to Canon but have to say the 40D is extremely good!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/greypoint/sets/
Old 15-10-07, 20:59

In one way I am lucky - I have not yet invested in flashes or many filters etc. I was going to get a second body anyway. Now I just have to sell the Nikon kit and buy a 40D, a 500 f4 and either one or two other lenses. What do people think of the 70-300 f4 IS (+/- DO) or the 28-300 f3.5 L IS. If I went for the 28-300 f3.4 L IS - is it a good all round lens - maybe I would not need a 24-105 f4 L IS ?
Old 16-10-07, 07:28
Super Moderator

I have just changed my 17-85 IS for a 24-105 IS and this is a great walk around lens. I also have a 70-300 IS in my bag which I think (and so do all the reports I read) is one of the great bargains in the Canon lens line up. Ok so its not L series build quality and its f4-5.6 so its not the fastest lens around but its light very sharp, and IS. I've also just bought the 10-22 which I love for that really wide angle perspective
Old 16-10-07, 16:57

Why not get the Tamron 24-135? they do it in Nikon fit, as well as many others. Have to agree wih John, can't say that I think it's worth swapping all your stuff for this sort of reason.
Old 16-10-07, 17:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelvertoft View Post
Why not get the Tamron 24-135? they do it in Nikon fit, as well as many others. Have to agree wih John, can't say that I think it's worth swapping all your stuff for this sort of reason.
I've very pleased with my Tamron 24-135 - well worth the buy.
Old 16-10-07, 17:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsnapper View Post
I've very pleased with my Tamron 24-135 - well worth the buy.
So am I, it's my everyday walkabout lens.