WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

Which would you say?

Old 11-05-09, 18:21

Default Which would you say?

Does anyone know which camera, out of the Canon 300d and the Nikon D40 produces the best quality images?

I used to have the 300d, but then changed to the Nikon D40. I have noticed recently that some of my D40 pics, especially when zoomed in on, look quite bad quality, all pixelated and noisey, but when I look back at photos I took with the Canon, the pictures seem much clearer. I'm seriously considering going back to Canon, as I'm not too happy with the quality of some my pics. I would have to sell my Nikon D40, so would only be able (just about) to get enough money for a 350d. I'd rather progress a little and get the 350, rather than the 300d. I'd really like the 400 or 450d, but they are both totally out of my price range!

Is it just me though, or the Canon 300d slightly higher quality than the Nikon D40?
Old 11-05-09, 21:10

I don't know much about the Nikon D40 being a Canon man but what you say sounds odd as it is a perfectly good camera. What are the settings you have used on the camera, particularly the ISO setting? Make sure you compare like with like with similar conditions and settings before you consider any change.
Old 11-05-09, 22:26

Hi Sally, they are both perfectly good cameras - I'm a Nikon man from way back, but I have to admit that these days it's all down to personal choice and which YOU feel more comfortable with. The thing that in my opinion WILL make a noticeable difference in image quality is the QUALITY of the lens you have on the front. Always go for the best lenses you can afford, Nikon or Canon or other maker, you may become a regular body up-grader but the lenses tend to stay. Some of my Nikkor lenses are 20 + years old and although I have upgraded bodies, the lenses stay with me because they are so good. All I have to do now is learn how to take pictures

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!
Old 11-05-09, 22:54
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy153 View Post
Hi Sally, they are both perfectly good cameras - I'm a Nikon man from way back, but I have to admit that these days it's all down to personal choice and which YOU feel more comfortable with. The thing that in my opinion WILL make a noticeable difference in image quality is the QUALITY of the lens you have on the front. Always go for the best lenses you can afford
I agree with this, both the 300D and the D40 are good cameras (there really isn't a bad DSLR out there) the lens on the front will have far more effect on the image quality than the camera will.
Old 13-05-09, 09:13

Hello,

I was looking for a entry level to midrange DSLR cameras any suggestions.
Weight,picture quality and price are my considerations in the same order
Old 13-05-09, 12:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymokhasi View Post
Hello,

I was looking for a entry level to midrange DSLR cameras any suggestions.
Weight,picture quality and price are my considerations in the same order

The answer is "The one that you get on the best with". This may be the one that I get on best with, and may not be the one that others get on best with. There's no such thing as a bad dSLR out there. The brand/model of camera will make very little difference compared to your ability to assess what you are seeing through the viewfinder before you press the button.

Duncan
Old 13-05-09, 16:54
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelvertoft View Post
The answer is "The one that you get on the best with". This may be the one that I get on best with, and may not be the one that others get on best with. There's no such thing as a bad dSLR out there. The brand/model of camera will make very little difference compared to your ability to assess what you are seeing through the viewfinder before you press the button.
Totally agree - there really is little to choose between the current crop of entry level/mid range DSLRs. All can deliver very good image quality, the lens in front and the photographer behind will make the difference.
Old 14-05-09, 21:12

Sound advice from all I think. If a manufacturer were to make a bad DSLR at the moment they would be doomed. Try all the models you can, even second hand, and make the choice that way.
Dean.
Old 19-05-09, 16:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally View Post
Does anyone know which camera, out of the Canon 300d and the Nikon D40 produces the best quality images?

I used to have the 300d, but then changed to the Nikon D40. I have noticed recently that some of my D40 pics, especially when zoomed in on, look quite bad quality, all pixelated and noisey, but when I look back at photos I took with the Canon, the pictures seem much clearer. I'm seriously considering going back to Canon, as I'm not too happy with the quality of some my pics. I would have to sell my Nikon D40, so would only be able (just about) to get enough money for a 350d. I'd rather progress a little and get the 350, rather than the 300d. I'd really like the 400 or 450d, but they are both totally out of my price range!

Is it just me though, or the Canon 300d slightly higher quality than the Nikon D40?
I cant really comment on the Nikon Sally but I have used both the 300d and the 350d and have been really happy with both cameras.Obviously the 350d will be better and should be the first choice for you.There are plenty of used examples around for a decent price but get one from a dealer as you should get some sort of warranty.Best of luck with what you decide.

http://mikewarburtonphotography.webs.com/
Old 19-05-09, 18:00

Canon, Nikon, Sony etc..... All produce good cameras. Just pick the one that has the feature set you want/need (i.e. good low light ability, fast frame rate, weatherproofing etc.) and is comfortable for you to use and you can't go wrong these days.