WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

30D v 350D Metering

Old 05-06-07, 12:24

The other option is bracketing. But there again it depends on what you photograph.

At the end of the day you have to find a method that works best for yourself. I dont think there is a right or wrong in this, its just personal preference.
Old 05-06-07, 14:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
Roy I think a great deal depends on what you photograph, my main area is macro with a high percentage of flower shots and like Christine I expose to the left as IMO you just cannot afford to "blow" the highlights on flowers or for that matter bugs.

Everything I've read on exposure says expose to the right, but it just does not work for me.
Yep - you are right Wolfie but I did say exposing to the right without blowing the highlights.
I shoot mainly birds and by exposing to the right if I do blow a highlight it is almost always the non bird elements of the shoot (sky and backrounds) which I am not concerned about. But I do capture a lot more dynamic range in the bird itself. Another thing is if you are underexposed and bring it back up in photoshop you are bound to increase noise (esp in the shadow areas).
I still think that deliberately underexposing is not a great thing to do - of course the ideal situation is to get the exposure crack on for the subject you are shooting but a histogram with a blank area to the right is wasting so much.

MY WEB SITE
MY PHOTOSTREAM