WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

EVIL cameras...

Old 03-01-12, 20:55
Super Moderator

Default EVIL cameras...

I'm curious as to who on here is using an EVIL camera (like the Panasonic G series or the Sony NEX). Much of what you read suggests that this is one of the fastest growing sector of the market and that it is eating into both the high end copmact and the entry level DSLR markets.

I have had a play with a few of the systems and have been impressed with what they can produce. I have ended up with a Panasonic and a couple of lenses that I love as a lightweight option. I use a GF1 with the 20mm f1.7 pancake lens which is very small but delivers great results. The AF is not as fast as on a DSLR and the lack of viewfinder takes a bit of getting used to, but overally I think it is a very good system. Given the current pricing on these cameras is not much more than a good compact they really are a good option if you don't mind a slightly larger camera (with the pancake the GF1 easily fits in my coat pocket).

So who else has been tempted by an EVIL camera?
Old 03-01-12, 22:20

I have had a Panasonic Lumix G1 (not quite a GF1) for over a year and like it a lot. Not too big but would need a big pocket and its lightweight. Electronic view finder is no problem to me. Only down side is the cost of lens, so far only got the kit lens.
Would I buy another "EVIL" 4/3rd camera? Don't think so would go for DSLR with greater range of cheaper lens. If I had a DSLR would I keep the Lumix as a camera to carry around? Yes, in an ideal world I would have both.
Old 04-01-12, 00:23

I've toyed with the idea of a CSC (Compact system camera) for some time now. Who started calling them 'EVIL' I wonder; can't say that I like that term (nor indeed 'pancake' for some of the slimmer lenses - I'd never eat a pancake that thick! )

My wife and I usually go somewhere in Southern Europe for our holidays and I always enjoy trying to take photos of the local wildlife - especially butterflies - and my Canon DSLR and Sigma 400mm F5.6 Apo/macro lens are ideal for this except...even though my set-up is nothing like as big and heavy as a 1-series body and fast-aperture telephoto lens, it's still a pain in the neck (or shoulder!) when I'm carrying it around all day.

Sony have managed to fit an APS-C sensor (and an EV in the NEX-7) into their compact bodies, so the image quality potential is there, but of course, the lens still has to be big enough to cover the format. Therefore, their system is not quite what I want.

The micro 4/3rds system will fulfill my needs for size and weight, though with the smaller sensor I'll have to take a drop in out and out image quality compared to my Canon system - not a huge problem as I don't usually do bigger prints than about 9"x6" for my holiday snaps anyway.

As it's possible to fit a wide range of lenses to m4/3 cameras via a suitable adapter, the IS system built into the bodies of Olympus cameras is a distinct selling point against the Panasonics. As a long-time Olympus OM system owner, I've also got a bit of 'brand-loyalty' involved here, as well as some old (or 'legacy' as Olympus likes to hype them ) OM lenses to try out at some stage.

The only 'problem' with Olympus is the fact that the stylists still seem to have the upper hand over the designers at the moment! They seem to be a step behind Panasonic in innovation (12MP versus 16Mp sensor, for instance) - white leather cases and straps plus fancy lens caps may look very nice, but they won't help you take better pictures!

I'm almost tempted to go for the EP3 + EVF and the Panasonic 100-300mm lens but there's a rumour of a body with built-in EVF which will, hopefully have the newer sensor. I may just wait a little longer to see how this still new market sector develops...

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...00/ppuser/1805

'Write when there is something you know: and not before: and not too damned much after' Ernest Hemingway
Old 04-01-12, 00:43
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adey Baker View Post
I'm almost tempted to go for the EP3 + EVF and the Panasonic 100-300mm lens but there's a rumour of a body with built-in EVF which will, hopefully have the newer sensor. I may just wait a little longer to see how this still new market sector develops...
From what I have read the EP3 has basically the same sensor as the one in the Panasonic G2, which is fine but not as good as the latest Panasonics. I have tried an Olympus as I liked the idea of in camera IS but I didn't like the way it handled or the layout of the controls. Many users clearly love them but it didn't suit me, I think the Panasonic controls seem more intuitive (coming from a Canon) so I prefer using them. The 100-300 is a surprisingly good lens for a relatively low cost and does make for a very lightweight set up. Attached are a few sample shots from the 100-300 on an 'old' G1 body (you've probably seen them over on the BF on the thread about this lens).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030902.jpg (153.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg P1040012.jpg (192.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg sparrowhawk1040560.jpg (205.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg sparrowhawk1040603.jpg (176.0 KB, 1 views)
Old 04-01-12, 01:25

Just about every comment and review that I've read on the 100-300mm lens has been favourable. It also has the advantage, from my point of view, at the 'macro' end where the Olympus lens (75-300mm) relies on the short end of the zoom for its closest focus which is not so good when you don't have a lot of time or the subject is a bit wary, which is often the case with my butterfly subjects. There's a good price advantage as well which is very useful when there's a whole new system to be purchased!

The latest Panasonic - the GX1 - with its improved optional EVF is a real contender alongside the EP3 as well.

I rather like the idea of detaching the EVF and using these types of cameras in the same way as other 'happy snappers' in the kind of situation where you don't want to draw attention to the fact that you're using a 'proper' camera. People can get a bit tetchy nowadays if they think you're aiming a serious camera anywhere near them whereas they wouldn't notice people holding compacts or phone-cams at arms' length.

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...00/ppuser/1805

'Write when there is something you know: and not before: and not too damned much after' Ernest Hemingway
Old 04-01-12, 07:57

I've got the Panasonic GH2 with 14-140 (28-280 35mm equivalent) and 100-300 (200-600 35mm equivalent) lens. The camera and lens suit my photography perfectly - camera and lens compact enough to carry both around all day together with birdwatching gear. The EVF is bright and larger than most cropped DSLRs. The swivel screen is great for taking low angle shots without the need to kneel or lay down - I've even taken shots around a corner. I can't imagine going back to 'normal' sized DSLR (eg Canon 20D): they feel to large and cumbersome for me.