WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

35mm film and digital - a comparison

Old 25-08-09, 14:57

I started with a Zenit E then got myself a bran spanking new Minolta XG-M in 81 for £150, I only used FP4, and I made my bedroom into a darkroom but I could take the shutters down in a couple of minutes I spent hours playing around in there hence my name on here

Jim
Old 25-08-09, 15:26
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex1994 View Post
Things I like about film:

1) Initial cost of buying a camera is much lower, with well looked-after SLRs going for as little as under £100, and something new with AF and things at perhaps £300 with a very good lens included.
I was just re-reading this thread and think it's worth mentioning how much the cost of a good used DSLR have fallen. In the past month or two I have seen 7 models from 3 manufacturers for under £160 each - all in very good nick. There are now good deals to be had on 'older' DSLRs.
Old 25-08-09, 16:58

In my film days I was rather lucky, Manchester Photographic Society had it's own darkrooms, as did Bury Photographic - in those places many senior members taught me all about the darkroom and it's secrets - colour and B&W. Then I bought a house with a four room cellar and my own darkrooms took shape. Then along came digital, as a computer geek I found myself in my element but still remembered nostalgically the smell of the hypo and sloshing about in trays made from guttering and drainpipe to get a six foot by ten foot print - (paper pinned to a wall upstairs with the enlarger horizontal to project the negative - 20-30 minutes if I remember rightly - dodging and burning done wearing some webbed wicket keeping gloves to increase my hand size). Now digital is a lot easier than that. But I now have a Fuji GA645Zi Pro film camera, and I get someone else to process and scan to disc

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!