WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

Lens Versus Megapixels

Old 20-03-06, 00:08

Default Lens Versus Megapixels

I have a Nikon D70 which is a 6 megapixel camera,the largest lens i have is 500mm.
I looking to get closer to wildlife. Question-If i buy a 800mm lens (that costs£2000+),
to use on said camera will take me closer to desired objects. Hence would i be better off
obtaining the Nikon D2X (body) which has 12.1 megapixels using my existing 500mm lens
(using my pc to zoom in instead to see the closer views)?
Any comments are welcome thank you Hugh.
Old 20-03-06, 03:17

Stick to the 500mm lens, (I assume it's a Nikon or Sigma lens?) and attach a 1.4 Nikon or Sigma converter, that will give you either a 750mm (without converter) or a 1050mm (with converter). You will lose just one f stop with this combination. A 1050mm lens is more than adequate for any wildlife, it will require substantial support and good light in order to use it effectively. If you need to be closer than this combination allows, then I think a brush up on field craft or the use of an hide is in order!

nirofo.
Old 20-03-06, 10:21

Agreed, keep the 500mm lens. Increasing sensor resolution will increase size of final image not bring subject closer. However greater resolution sensor will allow more aggressive cropping but this practice is not advised.

I have D2X not for resolution but for focus speed and accuracy.
Old 20-03-06, 21:57

a 1.4 Nikon or Sigma converter, souds lik a grate way to go thanks, 2 big lenses is a wast and moor bulk to cary but will converter werk with my nikon D70 and a SIGMA 50-500mm 1:4-6.3APO DG HSM D lens????
mor fieald craft defenetly, but I still need a troly and a donkey to pool it
hugh
Old 21-03-06, 01:57

Hi hughredcanary

The Nikon TC 1.4 E converter won't work on a Sigma lens, use a Sigma 1.4 and tape over the contacts (browse google for instructions).

I'm afarid the trolley and donkey are out (unless you can persuade some mug to carry your gear). You'll just have to put up with the nature photographers bad back like me!!

nirofo.
Old 21-03-06, 08:47

Do neither. Save yourself a bundle of cash by buying some Army Surplus Camo gear and improving your field craft. A bit more care and some patience (setting up a hide or similar and being prepared to wait for hours) will mean that a 500mm lens should be adequate for most jobs (it definitely will with a 1.4x or 2x convertor)

Unless your taking pictures of Snow leapords or similar (did anyone see our planet on BBC?) ;-)
Old 21-03-06, 11:32

Hugh

I agree with the concept of getting closer to the subject. The D70 and 50-500 is a fairly good setup. But the 50-500 is not the best of lens.

If you stick it on a D2X the increased resolution will show up the lens more as the sensor will out resolve the lens. e.g you just end up with a bigger blured version of your shot on screen.

Putting a TC on it will make the image very dark so the camera will struggle to Auto focus or hard to see if you manual focus. May be OK in bright light.

When using a TC you really need a good wide aperture prime lens to get the best results. Like a 500mm f4.

The problem with 800mm lens is that haze ( heat, pollen, mist ) becomes a problem with long distance work at certain times of year.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated

Last edited by robski; 21-03-06 at 11:35.
Old 21-03-06, 12:00
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirofo
Hi hughredcanary

The Nikon TC 1.4 E converter won't work on a Sigma lens, use a Sigma 1.4 and tape over the contacts (browse google for instructions).

nirofo.
The TC-14E will work with many Sigma HSM lenses, but you do need to modify the tc slightly by filing off a small metal lug on the inside of it.
cheers,
Andy
Old 21-03-06, 13:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by robski
The problem with 800mm lens is that haze ( heat, pollen, mist ) becomes a problem with long distance work at certain times of year.
Got to agree with this. I was surprised when I got Stevie a scope last year. Hers is a 60mm and mine 82mm. The same eyepiece giving greater magnification on my 82. Quite often the view through hers was better as it did not magnify the effect of haze to the same extent.

Don
Old 23-03-06, 19:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
The TC-14E will work with many Sigma HSM lenses, but you do need to modify the tc slightly by filing off a small metal lug on the inside of it.
cheers,
Andy
Oh.....MY......GOD!

Please don't ever say anything like this again! Best solution is to get the Sigma matched TC surely?

Rob.