WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photographic Accessories

Photographic Accessories Discussion on other Photography related Equipment. Tripods, Luggage and suchlike.

Lightening tripods

Old 28-03-06, 17:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire
I have visions of the tripod crumpling when you try to use it if you take to much off.
Christine. Yes, eek indeed!

In my experience it is not always obvious what works and what doesn't which is why I asked here. There seem to be some engineers on WPF judging by previous threads.

I know from previous experience of making a telescope mounting that a tube is much more rigid that a solid bar of the same mass per unit length. The reason why I think that is true is because the rigidity scales with the 4'th power of the diameter. (I'm remembering back many years but I think that is correct.) I suspect that for the same reason a perforated tube is more rigid than a smaller diameter non-perforated tube having the same wall thickness and mass per unit length. That is also consistent with the fact that things like tall cranes are made from a metal lattice rather than a solid bar.

I've also heard anout Sachtler tripods which claim high rigidity though I'm not sure why.

Leif
Old 23-04-06, 19:28

Unhappy

The gitzo carbon fibre explorer range is lighter and extemely versetile in a similar way to the uniloc - I just can't afford one!
Old 23-04-06, 19:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoll
The gitzo carbon fibre explorer range is lighter and extemely versetile in a similar way to the uniloc - I just can't afford one!
Yes it is. The aluminium one weighs the same, and costs twice as much. The CF one weighs 400g less, and costs four times as much. Ouch. I was tempted, but I took a look at the design. The centre column has a simple pivot, with a small contact area. To my eyes it does not look all that rigid. In comparison the Uniloc centre column is an integral part of the central locking mechanism, and looks very sturdy. What's more, to loosen the centre column and the legs on the Uniloc requires turning one handle. On the Gitzo there are 4 controls to loosen. I would rather have the more sturdy and easier to use Uniloc.

I would be interested to see tests of the Gitzo and the Uniloc to see how they compare in terms of stability. The Gitzo would need to be more stable to justify the huge price IMO.

Leif
Old 23-04-06, 22:18

All true, I've never looked at the Gitzo explorer in the flesh as the price is far more than I can even attempt to justify, especially when you have to add the cost of a head. I have the original Benbo Trecker, which is very like the Uniloc, and have never really got to terms with the way it works regards the turn one handle and everything is loosened. All too often everything ends up as a heap on the floor and my blood pressure through the roof!
Manfrotto do some nice light carbon fibres at a more reasonable price but
not as versatile. Its a case of body building and the Uniloc or a less versatile carbon fibre. There are also methods of carrying the tripod as along the lines of Manfrottos bucket backpack or quick action strap where the weight again goes on the back.
Old 23-04-06, 23:00

Mike: Maybe I'm stating the obvious, but the trick with the Uniloc/Benbo is to grip the camera, or centre column near the camera before loosening the main bolt. I don't find it difficult since I realised that one important rule though I've heard many comments from people who do not like them. I find other tripods more fiddly.

I don't think they are so good for heavy lenses such as a 500mm F4 though I guess the trick there is to mount the camera and lens after setting up the tripod.

Leif
Old 24-04-06, 17:53

Leif: Thanks for the advice, I'll give it another go. I bought the Benbo for its positioning versatility for close - ups/macro shots.
Old 24-04-06, 18:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif
Mike: Maybe I'm stating the obvious, but the trick with the Uniloc/Benbo is to grip the camera, or centre column near the camera before loosening the main bolt. I don't find it difficult since I realised that one important rule though I've heard many comments from people who do not like them.
Leif
Mike,

This just made me go out in the garden and check my technique. I seem to always unlock the central bolt with one leg on the ground, then spread them out as required and adjust position of the centre column. I have also realised I never have the camera on initially. For fine adjustments I have the camera on and move one leg at a time.

Comes quite naturally to me and I had to re-run several times and note what I did.

Don
Old 24-04-06, 19:21

Again, thanks Don. Come the weekend I'll delve in the back of the cupboard and find the demented son of bagpipes and have another go with the combined advice from you and Leif. It would be nice to master it as the thing obviously has great potential.