WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

Canon 50D Advice please

Old 31-05-09, 23:46

Default Canon 50D Advice please

I've tried searching with no luck.

I'm thinking of changing my EOS 400D my local dealer recommended the 50D as a next step up & has offered me a good trade in.

Any thoughts on this has anybody got one I'm not too interested in how many frames per second I just wonder is it over complicated compared to the 40D for instance

I've also read it's images seem a little soft .

Thanks for any suggestions
Old 01-06-09, 07:18

- 50D is a big jump that is sure to make you happy if you liked your 400D. You probably will be a lot more pleased.

- Softness has nothing to do with a camera body as long as we are talking of the same form factor. It is a product of opticals to great extend and then sensor size. May be they meant the kit lens that comes with it is soft but that is same with almost every kit lens except the very high end ones such as 5D mk II that comes with a kit lens that is "L" class.

I am sure you will be a lot happier with 50D especially if you already own a good set of high class Canon's products. If the deal is right, I would have no hesitation to go for it.

Lets see what others have to say for you.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN
Old 01-06-09, 08:04
Super Moderator

The 50D does look to be a very nice camera, it is very similar in operation to the 40D and will be a real step up from your 400D. I went from a 400D to a 40D and it was a significant upgrade I'm sure the 50D will be even more so.

I don't know where you are in Norfolk, but I guess which ever dealer is offering you a trade in will have the 50D in stock, so why not go in and try it for your self. That way you'll be able to get a feel for the handling and controls and see if they suit you. Thinking back to another thread I guess you 're talking about the shop in Dereham, they will be more than happy for you to try before you buy.
Old 01-06-09, 09:06

Thanks for your advice together.
Yes the shop is Dereham he usually price matches where possible & it's nice to support a smallish high street trader.

Cheers ian
Old 01-06-09, 09:31
Super Moderator

Yeah they are great in that shop - very helpful friendly guys who don't go for the hard sell (though they've had enough of my money over the years). No doubt I'll bump into you in there one day, I'm in there a fair bit!
Old 01-06-09, 18:19
Super Moderator

I recently bought a 40D in preference to a 50D because...

I have read that to get the pixels on the sensor there have been some compromises in image quality at high ISOs

10Mp still enables me to crop some and yet produce 20 x 24 prints

10Mp converted from RAW in 16 bits to psd/tif = 50Mb file - 15Mp would give ~75Mb file = new PC

So I saved some money on the upgrade, and didn't need a new pc
Old 01-06-09, 21:43
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidders View Post
I have read that to get the pixels on the sensor there have been some compromises in image quality at high ISOs

10Mp still enables me to crop some and yet produce 20 x 24 prints
I agree that 10mp is enough for most purposes, and more than enough for many. The high ISO performance of the 50D gets discussed a lot and initially it seemed that the camera was performing worse than the 40D. However more recent reviews have shown that the high ISO performance is on a par with the 40D, which is impressive given all those extra pixels.
Old 02-06-09, 22:44

I really dont go with all the pixel thing,i have a 10D i use as my every day hack at airports and its only 6.3mp,check out my images to proove its not all about pixels to create great images,i totally agree though about the better the camera then also budget for a new all singing 800gb PC,Mart.