WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Off Topic > Computers and The Internet

Computers and The Internet This is the place to ask questions and discuss the complex world of computer and internet issues.

Monitor Calibration

Old 07-01-10, 18:03
Super Moderator

The spider 3 pro arrived today, it was very easy to install and set up. It feels more durable to handle than the huey and has a thicker stronger cable, so hopefully it will last much longer.

My calibrated monitors look much better than what I remember of the Huey they seem to have better contrast and brightness and the colours really pop. With the Huey I had a very slight colour shift on my second monitor, not much, but it was there, now they are both identical.

I am very impressed with the spider. I can now get back to re-doing some editing I have done since the Huey broke, the brightness and contrast in all the photos I did are now all wrong.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 07-01-10, 20:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire View Post
The spider 3 pro arrived today, it was very easy to install and set up. It feels more durable to handle than the huey and has a thicker stronger cable, so hopefully it will last much longer.

My calibrated monitors look much better than what I remember of the Huey they seem to have better contrast and brightness and the colours really pop. With the Huey I had a very slight colour shift on my second monitor, not much, but it was there, now they are both identical.

I am very impressed with the spider. I can now get back to re-doing some editing I have done since the Huey broke, the brightness and contrast in all the photos I did are now all wrong.

Hi Saphire

Pleased to hear you're happy with the Spyder, they are well respected professionally. One thing worth mentioning if you are using LCD monitors is to set then up using native resolution, and whatever you do don't use your graphics card software to adjust any settings or it will mess up the Spyder monitor profile.

nirofo.
Old 07-01-10, 21:36

Thought you would like the Spyder, indeed as you have discovered the only downside is needing to redo some of the shots you thought were fine!
Old 07-01-10, 23:55
Super Moderator

Thanks nirofo, I would never have thought of that. I really like how well it has set both monitors, they are different makes and size but I can't tell any diference when I move a photo across, the colours contrast and brightness are identical.

Mike, it will take a bit of getting use to the colours are so very contrasty and vibrant, I will have to go through all my photos to check them out.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,

Old 08-01-10, 15:05
Super Moderator

I have just been going through my galleries on here and on BF. I found this photo of a LTT which seems very dark with the new calibration. Which looks right out of the 2 photos

The photo on the left of the sample is what I posted with the Huey calibration 12 months ago, at the time I considered the edit to be spot on.
The one on the right is lightened in levels to what I think the original would have looked like when I first posted it. Which do you think is correct.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-2.jpg (199.1 KB, 12 views)

Old 08-01-10, 16:15

"Correct" is a very subjective term. The one which you prefer, and most closely matches your interpretation of the scene at the time is the correct one.

My own opinion is that "correct" is probably somewhere between the two of them. Left looks too dark to me, right looks too light. This is when I'm viewing on a calibrated Eizo monitor on the desktop PC. If I view it on the laptop, then all bets are off - I know the built in screen on that is too bright and the second (external) screen on it is too dark, despite both being calibrated with a Huey.
Old 08-01-10, 17:04
Super Moderator

Thanks Duncan, I personally prefer the one on the right as the other has lost to much detail in the shadows.
I am surprised at how different the brightness and contrast is between the Huey and the Spider. When I originally posted the image on BF the brightness would have been close to the one on the right which I have just corrected.

Old 08-01-10, 19:40

Hi Christine, what I notice is that in the one on the right, you can see the yellow around the eye, it's lost in the left one. Also the right one seems crisper to me. Mind you, my monitors are calibrated with a Spyder so perhaps I'm biased

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!
Old 08-01-10, 20:13

I think I have to agree with Yelvertoft, somewhere in between would be about right. However, if I had to choose one of the 2 photos shown I would probably go for the one on the right. Monitor just recently calibrated with a Spyder 2 Pro.

nirofo.
Old 08-01-10, 22:23
Super Moderator

Thanks Andy, nirofo so the right one looks better to other spider users. LOL!
If I was still using the Huey the left photo would look like the right and that one on the right would be much lighter.