WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Equipment Reviews

Equipment Reviews Post a review of your equipment in here

Fuji S5 Pro review

Old 20-03-09, 22:22

Default Fuji S5 Pro review

haven't posted a review of the S5 Pro - and when I looked at the current prices (sub 500 for body only) - I felt I should

I have to say the Fuji S5 has to be the best camera I've used

perfect combination of a D200 body (therefore excellent handling and useability) - and a superb sensor (Fuji SuperCCD) are almost a perfect combination

the secret is in the sensor which although only gives 6 MPixels of actual detail (although really more like 8 Mpixels) - produces amazing Dynamic Range.

reason for this is that 6 MPixels are biased towards the light, and 6 Mpixels are biased towards the dark - this really expands the dynamic range - and its immediately noticeable. Not only does this give far more latitude when processing photos (you can even get away with photos at +3eV over what they should be !) - it IMO produces superbly punchy photos (very analogue looking)

I'd say the Dynamic range is almost that of slide - and is I think tested as higher than any other DSLR - apart from perhaps the top of the range (£4k+) canon.

for < £500 I'd say its a no brainer - buy one and give it a whirl

just don't let the lack of MPixels disuade you - the colours and DR are far more important when it comes down to it

Mark.
Old 03-04-09, 20:33

well, the camera is good indeed, and there's no lack of megapixels, in my opinion. 6 mp is enough to produce nice images.