WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

Is the Nikon D2H worth it

Old 16-10-07, 01:18

Default Is the Nikon D2H worth it

Hello all im am just wondering if the Nikon D2H is worth investing in if i am a bird photographer. The only thing is the MP count is only 4.1. i do not know if this will affect me that much accept i will not be able to make the pictures very big. On the other hand should i just save my money? i was just wondering if it is worth the money for the 8 fps.This would be used for bird photography. thank you.
Old 16-10-07, 17:33

Shutterfly,

As you have indicated that the biggest lens you have is 300mm (at full zoom) I would suggest that you would be far better off saving your money until you can buy a bigger and/or better quality lens. This will get you better results than a body that just happens to have a high fps. Your D50 does 2.5 fps, this is quite enough to be getting on with and is highly unlikely to be the thing that is limiting your photography.

Hope this helps.

Duncan
Old 16-10-07, 19:38

I agree, Better glass is the answer, not the pixel count or the fps rate. In the D50 you have a very good Nikon camera. Invest in the lenses you attach to it and a good sturdy tripod.

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!
Old 16-10-07, 19:51

Did anyone say D3?

Bird photography, depending on your choice for in-flight or out of flight bird, needs more technique than mere tools. Try to work on your techniques first, know them, practice with them and if situation mandates, then consider additional tools especially when they are very costly.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN
Old 16-10-07, 20:28

I have two Nikon D2's (D2X and D2Hs) of these I prefer the Hs. What you get with any D2 is magnificent build quality, fast and accurate auto-focus performance, true and accurate colour balance, etc. Megapixels are not that important. As mentioned before glass is more important but the above features are also.

The main reason my I went for a Hs is total compatibility with D2X with operation, batteries, memory cards but above all amazing low light performance.

Sample photo at ISO1600 with challenging coloured lights http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1213781/L/

Check out my gallery with EXIF so you can see the D2Hs ones -> http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...500&ppuser=101
Old 16-10-07, 22:21

thank you for all your comments i think i will save up for some large glass for now and then i might switch camera bodies thanks again i was just wondering
Old 17-10-07, 05:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutterflyD50 View Post
i will save up for some large glass for now and then i might switch camera bodies
Very good decision.
If you remain interested in D2s, you may find your self more buying power, once the D3 prevails the market as it is quit likely that many pros now with D2, will be selling theirs with hope to switch to the bigger better brother. Though at about $5000 you may ask how many. But the first time ever made a full frame sensor by Nikon, on top of capabilities with ISO 6400 will ultimately make a lot of potential Nikon fans to make the transition very soon so you will be seeing a lot of D2s on the market that means a significant lowering of current price in a short time. So yes it pays to wait, yet don't forget to keep practicing on bird shooting skills especially in flight.
BTW if only high frame rate of shooting interests you, I seriously advise you to have a hand on much much cheaper point and shots that give you good optical reach on top of very fast fps and dual image stabilizer at fraction of the cost of DSLRs.

" JOE BIDEN
Old 17-10-07, 05:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canis Vulpes View Post

Sample photo http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1213781/L/

Check out my gallery with EXIF so you can see the D2Hs ones -> http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...500&ppuser=101

Nice and impressive pictures Foxy.
I give the credit to photographer more than the tools.
I like specially one that you took on my birthday.

" JOE BIDEN
Old 17-10-07, 11:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassan View Post
Nice and impressive pictures Foxy.
I give the credit to photographer more than the tools.
I like specially one that you took on my birthday.
Thanks for that Sassan, please advise which pic you especially like. I cannot find info relating to your birthday