WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > The Digital Darkroom

The Digital Darkroom The In-Computer editing forum.

How to ?

Old 15-05-15, 18:44

Default How to ?

How do i set up Lightroom so that it automatically applies the lens corrections & on import. I presume it is in a preference or setting but can't seem to work it out?
Old 17-05-15, 14:37
Super Moderator

No its not. You have to have to be in the develope module & then go to Develop > set default settings. Its ISO & camera specific so you need to set it up for each ISO setting.

The way I've set it up is as follows:
  1. Never shoot on auto ISO otherwise you'll have loads of defaulst to set. I set my ISO to go in whole stops so I only have to set the defaulst for 100, 200 etc up to 3200
  2. Shoot a test card out of focus - something like the attached. This is actually a profiling colour chart bluetacked to the wall with a test image held about 30cm in front of it. I then focus non the test image at maximum apeture so taht the profiling chart is slightly out of focus.
  3. Shoot this set up for all the ISOs that you want to have settings applied by default
  4. Import the images into Lightroom
  5. At this stage I then make just the adjustments that I want to have applied automatically. For me these are
    • Noise reduction - this is ISO specific
    • Clarity - I usually add +10
    • This is where you would enable profile corrections - leave it at default & it will automatically apply the standard Adobe profile for your lens if there is one
  6. Repeat for each test image
  7. When you are happy with your settings - select each image in turn & go to Develop > Set Default Settings

Job done... BUT... I wouldn't have the lens corrections applied automatically unless you've got a hugely powerful computer. Lens corrections take a masive amount of computing power. I used to do this & could work out why Lightroom have become very slllloooowwww.

So now my work flow is automatically apply noise reduction & clarity. Select the images worth peocessuing further, apply what ever edits that I want & then I have a preset that applys the lens corrections which I do last
Old 17-05-15, 15:57

Do you need to do that for each lens as the lens correction profile is different for each one?
Old 17-05-15, 16:02

I note you do lens correction last?, I've started doing it first, especially with a wide angle lens because it alters the brightness etc quite a bit (especially in the corners) Which is why I asked the question. Then I alter my levels etc otherwise I end up altering the levels twice. Observations?
Old 19-05-15, 10:04
Super Moderator

If you leave the lens correction profile setting on default Lightroom will detect the lens if Adobe have created a profile.

By all means do it first & see how Lightroom responds, & kind of makes sense if the lens suffered from vignetting. But I would maybe run through my images to select the ones I want to work on, apply my lens correction preset & then synchronise settings for the selected images.