WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Off Topic > Computers and The Internet

Computers and The Internet This is the place to ask questions and discuss the complex world of computer and internet issues.

Photo Editing Software - any advice?

Old 30-05-11, 10:42

Default Photo Editing Software - any advice?

Hi There

Have just run into a problem whereby the inbuilt Microsoft Photo Editor can no longer load the latest images from my Canon G7.

Currently I load the images from my camera into Kodak Easy Share (old package I used with an earlier Kodak digital camera). In the past I have been able to open these images in Photo Editor to resize or remodel by cutting out heads or figures and re-pasting these into other photos.

Now when I try to use Photo Editor I get an error message stating "Error reading file"

This is a pain because I have several family photos that I want to manipulate and cannot now do so.

Anyone out there who can recommend a "fix" for the Photo Editor problem or alternatively point me in the direction of another free or relatively cheap package that will do the "head transplant" operation easily. I don't want to spend a fortune on a bells and whistles programme that I will only use occasionally.

Thanks in advance
Old 30-05-11, 16:42

Hello,
You should have a look at the Faststone Image Viewer, you can download it from http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

I have used it for 2 years, and find it to be very good.
It is available free, or for a small charge you can get a licensed version to run on multiple computers. I purchased my copy with a lifetime license.

Alternatively, you can download GIMP for free; since it has much of the functionality of Photoshop, it is rather complex to learn.

I would recommend the Faststone Image Viewer, and see how you get on with it.

Lightmagician
Old 31-05-11, 16:50

Hi, after further research, you can use Photo Pos Pro, which is free.
The download link is:
http://www.photopos.com/index.asp?Re...&SoftVer=1.8.5

Once you have installed it, go to Help, search users guide, and enter the word 'clone' in the search field, you will then get an example of putting heads on other bodies

I hope this is useful to you.
Old 24-10-11, 18:05

Personally I use Gimp, it is a totally free Photo editor, equivalent to PS and very very good. It is available for windows also and all versions including the plug-ins are open source will not cost you a penny. I have always been on a tight budget and especially these days. The advances of Linux and the Open source software is amazing. With much of the linux world being free and completely supported these days, there is no reason why not to try a version or two to see if they might work for you. You can download a live version and put it on a CD/DVD/USB Thumb drive and try it on your windows machine without making any adjustments to your Windows Programming or causing you problems when you reboot into your old operating system...
Old 27-10-11, 08:45

XN view for windows is easy to use and can do most things. Free off the net too.