WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

New battery for 300D

Old 09-06-07, 10:52

Default New battery for 300D

I've bought a new battery (BP-511) but its not a Canon but is instead one from mymemory.co.uk.

Do batteries for cameras have to be charged up for a long time before being used or do they charge up as normal for the first time?
Old 09-06-07, 11:34

Charging depends on the battery type. Most cameras utilise Li-ion batteries which have fast charge times and have no memory effect.

If the new battery was mine I would use it straight away but watch for it discharging quickly then charge it from a full discharge state. Nikon recommend to charge then allow to cool before use but this may be overcautious.

Li-ion batteries should not be kept in the discharge state instead charge before storage like the manufacturer does before shipping.
Old 09-06-07, 13:05

From my own experience if Li-ion batteries, they do seem to hold their charge a bit better once they've been charged and (fully) discharged a couple of times. Just get on with using it and it will be fine. You may find it doesn't hold its first charge particularly well.

Whatever the technology, rechargables shouldn't be kept in the discharged state.
Old 09-06-07, 13:32

It's a Li-ion 7.4V 1450mAh.

How do you place the battery into a discharge state?

So do I discharge fully when they're not being used and then charge them before I go out anywhere?

@Stephen: Just put the new battery into the camera and it hasn't been charged so I've put it in the charger now.
Old 10-06-07, 09:07

Here is a section form wikipedia

Full document here -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_ion_battery

I have three Li-ion batteries (Nikon EN-EL4) that are in their third year. Two are now showing 1/4 for their life. Using Extrapolation I expect their life to be 12 years!
Guidelines for prolonging Li-ion battery life
  • Unlike Ni-Cd batteries, lithium-ion batteries should be charged early and often. However, if they are not used for a longer time, they should be brought to a charge level of around 40%. Lithium-ion batteries should never be "deep-cycled" like Ni-Cd batteries.[7]
  • Lithium-ion batteries should never be depleted to below their minimum voltage, 2.4v to 3.0v.
  • Li-ion batteries should be kept cool. Ideally they are stored in a refrigerator. Aging will take its toll much faster at high temperatures. The high temperatures found in cars cause lithium-ion batteries to degrade rapidly.
  • According to one book,[12] lithium-ion batteries should not be frozen (should not be stored below -40 °C), because most lithium-ion battery electrolytes freeze at approximately −40 °C (this is much colder than the lowest temperature reached by household freezers, however).
  • Li-ion batteries should be bought only when needed, because the aging process begins as soon as the battery is manufactured.[7]
  • When using a notebook computer running from fixed line power over extended periods, the battery should be removed and stored in a cool place so that it is not affected by the heat produced by the computer.[7]
Old 10-06-07, 15:27

Wow, I'm amazed at how Li-ion batteries can and should be treated!

I can't thank you enough for posting that information.

Only question I have now is how do you place the battery itno a discharge state? Is this simply by using it and if yes, is it worth me taking a load of pictures to drain the battery?
Old 11-06-07, 08:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeb View Post
Wow, I'm amazed at how Li-ion batteries can and should be treated!

I can't thank you enough for posting that information.

Only question I have now is how do you place the battery itno a discharge state? Is this simply by using it and if yes, is it worth me taking a load of pictures to drain the battery?
Just use the battery, that will discharge it. If you have a "slideshow" playback feature, that can be used to drain the battery whilst unattended.

Don't leave it in a discharged state for long though.