WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

Looking for a small, light weight DSLR...

Old 06-04-09, 13:38
Super Moderator

After much pondering I finally reached a decision... much as all the small DSLR options appeal (especially the little Oly) they are not pocketable so I've ordered a G9 instead. I toyed with getting a G10 but review sugget that there is little to chose in terms of IQ and I like the wider zoom range on the G9 (better for snaps of the kids). The other big advantage to a G9 (over a G10) is the price... for the difference in price I can pick up a used 350D (or possibly a 20D) which I can use with my 50 f1.8 when I want to take out something smaller than my 1D but faster than the G9.
Old 06-04-09, 15:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by postcardcv View Post
After much pondering I finally reached a decision... much as all the small DSLR options appeal (especially the little Oly) they are not pocketable so I've ordered a G9 instead. I toyed with getting a G10 but review sugget that there is little to chose in terms of IQ and I like the wider zoom range on the G9 (better for snaps of the kids). The other big advantage to a G9 (over a G10) is the price... for the difference in price I can pick up a used 350D (or possibly a 20D) which I can use with my 50 f1.8 when I want to take out something smaller than my 1D but faster than the G9.
To late I see, I was going to say the E-420 and two kit lenses are my exclusive travel light kit when i do not want the weight and image quality is outstanding.

http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography
Old 06-04-09, 17:05

I am too late too but Your homework seems paid off and you DID the best you could!

Why?
Well I fall in your shoe too. I am having 1Ds (Plural s) and yes with flash and at least 2 attractive and must have lens, and 3 extra battery, they can break your back on a long day. They literary did for me and I do have a spine in need of a lot of TLC now a days! Then with a 1D and a nice lipstick wearing fair skin lens attached, you are surely to receive especial attention like near by whispers point to you with the not so welcoming word "Paparazzi" or a sure way to have your return back at the check point of a concert or sportive event unless you have a Press card hanging on you neck.

On the other side, after having taste of 1D, your buds won't settle for some entry level DSLRs. Just No way.

Considering all the manual over ridings and features, the famous G series of Canon are and have been the best substitute for professional grade DSLR. They take the same expensive flash line in TTL mode as their king size cousin and though the lens is not changeable but who needs to change it anyway with the range they offer.
Now here goes what makes you even more happy: As a owner of G10, I now prefer to sell it and buy a G9... I really do not look at a few extra Mega bit added to picture file size as a big plus (That is one of the features G10 has over G9). Of course bigger LCD is always nice but when I have my eyeglass, both size LCD are readable! and when not, None!!
The thing that makes G9 a definite better deal is what appears to be a better IQ and lower noise (G10 does have it) and many other tiny features that can make a big leap in picture taking that are cut off in new G10. For eg that "Time elapse" feature that is built in on G9 and you can set up the camera on a steady shoe and let it take a long time, pictured in constant intervals and thus an excellent Wow bringing motion picture in high rez at the end. I don't know why Canon made the mistake of taking such features stripping down in new line. Well I might know and probably Cost is the keyword.

Of course if I had noticed this theread before might have confused you a bit further and being a Canonist, it would have been a shame in my part to suggest Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 but I know for a fact that many of first-G10-buyer did the switch to LX3. Well then you need to start with buying accessories especially biger flash etc one more time as your current Canon line won't fit. Or the other option would be to go with a 20D second hand. This would not be as small but then IQ is exceptional and that camera is rough like a tank to serve you for a long time to come and then, after 1D you cannot simply find yourself happy to hold any small DSLR like 350 D60 etc etc when point and shot is a totally different class with a totally different feel and touch.

So be happy and have a lot of fun with the right choice you made.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN

Last edited by sassan; 06-04-09 at 17:33.
Old 06-04-09, 21:48
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassan View Post
Of course if I had noticed this theread before might have confused you a bit further and being a Canonist, it would have been a shame in my part to suggest Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 but I know for a fact that many of first-G10-buyer did the switch to LX3.
I did consider the LX3, it looks to be an excellent camera, I know a guy with the LX2 who swears by it... but I was put of by the limited range of focal length, I'm sure it's fine for some but for snapping the kids a wider, longer range helps.
Old 09-04-09, 22:07
Super Moderator

Well my G9 arrived yesterday, it looks like a very nice camera... I also took a trip to my local camera shop and picked up a secondhand 30D at a good price. Here's my new toys - http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...hp?photo=39527
Old 10-04-09, 18:34

Good news. Glad you got the cameras you were after. G9 is a bit of a legend (so's the 30D for that matter) The s/h market is quite diverse at the moment, and there's some real bargains to be had
Old 20-11-10, 06:54

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by postcardcv View Post
Hi, you may want to consider a Canon 5D Mark II which is smaller than 1D series of cameras and full-frame so when you use with your EF 50 f/1.8 lens it will give you exactly 50mm not like 550D or 7D giving you 80mm instead?
Old 20-11-10, 07:32

Try getting the new Canon 550D lens kit with the new 18-55mm IS lens, it's lighter compared to it's previous models
Old 19-02-11, 22:32

Had you thought about a bridge camera?.........or is that like swearing on here?

I have a Panasonic FZ45 which I can easily take anywhere, has a 24X zoom and lets me shoot in RAW. Maybe something to look at?
Old 20-02-11, 10:16

If your after a lightweight dSLR, and don't want to spend £700, then the Pentax Kr might be well worth considering. I believe it's significantly smaller than most APS competition and is around £350 new with the kit lens.

Oops - I missed the original post date! I guess this is no longer relevant.

Pentax K5ii & Panasonic G5 user (with far too many bits to list)
Member of North Essex Photographic Workshop
Also online with PentaxUser.co.uk, Flickr, MU-43, MFLenses...