WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

Canon 20d

Old 07-11-06, 23:03

Also Sony and Olympus (a bit short on choice of lenses) just to confuse things further! Pentax and Sony have built in anti shake to put in the melting pot along with their versions of sensor cleaning. Read reviews etc and then go have a play with the models that interest you, handling and feel is very important. Have fun choosing then go for it
Old 07-11-06, 23:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidders View Post
When I was looking to get into the dSLR field, like most it came down to a Nikon/Canon choice. For me what decided it was the lenses that suited my photographic interests...

I went for a 20D + 17-85 IS rather than the standrad lens, and have since acquired a 70-300 IS as well
Not meaning to pinch the thread but how do you rate the 17-85 IS as I am considering one when funds permit?
Old 07-11-06, 23:24

I see that Canon are now offering £100 cash-back on the 30D, making it about £650 body only from UK dealers. A good price for a good camera and a sure sign that a replacement is coming (stating the obvious, of course, as replacements are always on the way!)

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...00/ppuser/1805

'Write when there is something you know: and not before: and not too damned much after' Ernest Hemingway
Old 07-11-06, 23:47

Hi Don,
Since the last time you said for me to go out and play with the camera's I've been interested in I have been out nearly every weekend looking,touching,playing and I think my mind is made up, I'm going for the D80.
As I said earlier I'm in no hurry but the camera shops in the January sales won't know what's hit them. But If I can find a good deal on the 30D (with cash back) then I might change my mind, But they the only 2 cams I'm going to look for with a view to buy. I've never really considered the Pentax or Olympus. So all I need to do now is start saving. Or I could always start a buy Lello a Camera for Christmas charity!!!

No amount of security is worth the suffering of a life lived chained to a routine that has killed your dreams.

Lelsphotos
Old 08-11-06, 00:01

Hi Lello,

Just got your FZ30 up on DPR. I guess you are in a similar boat to Chris in that you currently have a huge zoom range ( 12x out to 420mm ). Lens choice will be the major thing if you regularly use the full range you currently have.

Do you have any thoughts in that direction ?

Don
Old 08-11-06, 00:19

I'm not going to sell the FZ30 (I love it) if I were going to sell it, Buying a new cam would be much easier with the extra cash in my pocket.
So the idea is buy a half decent lens for my new cam (whatever that might be) maybe 35-70 lens,Then learn how to use the new cam with everybody's help on the forum,Then when I'm happy with my ability I will start looking at bigger lenses. Not forgetting I will still have the FZ30 with an Olympus T-CON17 tele converter to get closer to the action. And you do realize I will be asking lot's of questions about taking photo's with the the new D-SLR?
And when I need help with lenses I'm sure you guys will steer me in the right direction.

No amount of security is worth the suffering of a life lived chained to a routine that has killed your dreams.

Lelsphotos
Old 08-11-06, 04:49

Default camera second lens first

The D80 is great. The available lenses would not work for me. I use Canon and the glass is the reason. Not that Nikon doesn't make extremely good lenses, but I find the variety and consistancy and availability of Canon lenses suit me better.
Old 08-11-06, 21:16
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoll View Post
Not meaning to pinch the thread but how do you rate the 17-85 IS as I am considering one when funds permit?
Mike - Ill post a separate thread in the Equipment Reviews forum in the next few days - going dancing tonight & got a portrait session booked tomorrow so it will be sometime over the weekend
Old 06-12-06, 22:09

I've read negative reviews about the 350D and 400D small size - especially what to do with your little finger. For the last 25 years, I've always curled my little finger under the camera for extra support, and I still do it with my 20D. You get a more secure support without a white knuckle grip.

I use my wife's 350D with Tamron 200-400 zoom on a tripod. Having all shooting info on the LCD means that the camera does not have to be tilted to check settings - useful if you need to keep the camera trained on one spot, but need to check/change ISO etc.

When I bought the 20D, there was no real competition, but now DSLRs are all so good and alike I would pick the camera to suit my budget.

I've only posted this to try to confuse you sall the more!!!!!!!!!

Birdsnapper
Old 07-12-06, 22:24

As my 30D is currently up for sale on another forum for £580 boxed as new I think this is a pretty bad deal TBH. If your interested let me know ;-)

Hope that's not against the rules :-0